Question for you all

G+_Ed Bellerose

Jason Howell I personally would turn off Ask To Join and leave on Held For Review.

You'll find that maybe 1% of new joins ever post, so the flood of emails from the join approvals isn't worth it.

With Held For Review enabled, no spam will ever be seen by the general community, assuming you are careful about who you promote to full members.

The only exception to that is that spammers can still post in comments of existing posts, but those are fairly easy to handle.

I have 2 other Owners, who aren't very active, and 3 Moderators, only a couple of whom are very active, and the 6 of us handle a community of 259K members.

If you use the tools at hand to your advantage you can clean things up fairly quickly and keep it that way.

Some users are set to "limited" whereas other users are normal members. Unfortunately I'm not sure if this setting is determined by default to new members or by Google's spam filters when they join. You do however have the power to "promote" a limited member to normal status or vice versa.

If they're set to limited, their posts should be waiting in the queue pending your approval into the community but I've noticed some slip through.

At any time should you come across a member with questionable posts, you can always change their status to limited to monitor their future posts. This is a tactic I use all the time to monitor someone I'm not so sure of.

That said, I definitely recommend using a desktop for moderation. The mobile version is missing a lot of useful tweaks.

Jason Howell???? glad to be of help. You and your team have been a great source of everything Android to me so I'm happy I was able to help. I used to watch a podcast you were on several years ago... I think it was called Android Atlus?? That's what got my interest in Android podcasts!

Lol I don't remember if that was the name of your show but THANK YOU for doing what you do.

When you first turn on the Hold For Review setting, every current community member is flipped to Limited and every new member comes in that way as well.

Then, ideally once usual, contributing, obviously non-spammer Limited members post, you promote them Full members.

That way the community activity continues uninterrupted and the queue of posts waiting for a Moderator to approve gets smaller and eventually it ends up being pretty much nothing but spam in the approval queue, with just a handful of posts from new members.

The one place that slips through, though, is in Comments on approved posts. Comments aren't filtered for approval so spammers have figured out that they can post their spam there without being stopped.

The one good thing about "spam commenters" is that on desktop you get the option to "report, remove, ban" the comment PLUS you have the extra option to remove ALL of their community posts. These spam comment bots tend to spread out quickly so this is a good way to make sure all of their crap is gone. Again, this only works on desktop (unless you use a mobile browser) which drives me nuts!