Question for you all

G+_Ed Bellerose

Question for you all

So OBVIOUSLY this Community has become overridden by spam. It's been that way for a long time. I don't have the time to Moderate it, at least not the way it is now. I'm half inclined to change the moderation settings on the Community to have to approve any post to appear here to control it before it gets as noisy as it has been for a long time now. But I worry about the amount of noise I will have to sort through in order to find the handful of posts by actual AAA fans here. But I REALLY want the community to be useful for you all...

One question I have: Posts with videos/articles/etc.... Basically this community is like 99% filled with these kinds of posts. Would you consider those to be spam? I guess what I'm wondering is there ARE some times when actual community members want to share a link or video... But that makes it hard to determine from a moderation standpoint, without spending all day analyzing everything here, what is spam and what is actual content. Should I simply assume that anything with a video or story link is spam and keep posts here 100% discussion based? It's a blunt force object but maybe that's better than what we have?

Open to ideas. I miss you.

Jason Howell? It's great that you are interested in the direction of the community.

Personally, I'd like if the community was primarily for discussion regarding AAA and topics relevant to the show (i.e. the hosts, guests, topics discussed). The community has become all about android (just general Android stuff) rather than All About Android (the show). There are plenty of general Android communities as well as device specific ones to discuss topics, but it would make sense that the AAA community be reserved for AAA.

Just my 2 cents.

You have that tool called the Ban Hammer. Don't be afraid of useing it.

I cut 20 thousand spammers by useing it and locked down my Community s that I run it worked.

Everyone that posts has to show they are worthy of posting.

Who cares about Numbers piece of mind is where it's at. Ya I know it's hard finding moderators that you can trust to stick around but once you do things smooth out.

Also be sure to pin your rules and add them to About The Community so you don't get cry baby's

Like Jim Jensen?? said, pin the rules and like bil Jeschke?? said, require links be posted with a description. And like Russell Saisho?? said, require them to be about the SHOW, not just general Android stuff... Perhaps with some leniency.

Also, feel free to ask for help in moderating. Make a list of rules for moderators and let them moderate for you. That way you can focus on the show and maybe do a little moderating and moderate the moderators.

You have human resources here. Take advantage of us. I moderate several communities and own a couple. The useful high volume communities tend to be the ones with multiple moderators.

I believe spam is part of the reason this community isn't so active any more. It doesn't help that none of the hosts are active on here but we can't do much there.

Links and videos can be relevant to the community but hard for moderators to manage. I like the idea of requiring a comment or note about it that explains the relevance to the show. I really think your best bet is to create some rules and pin them as mentioned. Then find several moderators to enforce those rules.

You're just one person, if this community gets active once again you'll be totally overwhelmed. TWiT has moderators in the chatrooms, you should also have them here. I believe they've been vetted there, can't the same process be done for here? Perhaps some of them are active on here as well. Take advantage of those of us who really enjoy the show and want to extend the interactions you initiate on there. We will all benefit from it.

Ok THANK YOU for all of your awesome feedback. Tomorrow I am going to spend part of my day cleaning this up. I plan at least in the sorry term to switch it to a fully moderated forum to keep discussion and throw out links. Going nuclear at least for now. I have very little time for full scale permanent moderation so it has to be a broad brush at least for now.