My wife and I just had another conversation about Comcast Internet and cable tv It went up yet a...

G+_Rud Dog

The HDHR is the ATSC tuner. I have the Quattro, which has 4 tuners, allowing 4 simultaneous recordings. Plex can work with multiple tuners if you want (e.g. you start with 2 and work your way up).

Plex DVR includes guide info. I'm not going to rehash all that here. It's best to read up about it on their website.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul covered the ATSC 3.0 transition, but some folks are guessing 2023.

The ATSC 1.0 transition was delayed for several years because they were worried the public wouldn't go for it. (Anyone remember the government discount on tuner boxes??) The same thing is happening again with this.

Good summary of features in the CNET article, but take note that it is two years old. So some features may have changed a little during final ratification and when they say "4K over-the-air broadcasts are coming, but not in the next year or two." the time has come, the first broadcasts are starting within months now.

Okay, I'm on vacation, watching live TV in the rental with my son. Oh my God, I want to throw this TV through the effing wall right now. How do any of you deal with live TV?! Get Hulu and Cut. The. Cord.

I promise you'll be happier. It'll probably help your marriage.

Now you guys have me wondering how this Hulu works is it hype or not. OK its my day so will load Hulu onto my old Roku and see what this is about.

I feel the same my skin cringes when I am forced to watch commercials especially the dumb intelligence offending creations.

You'll need to get a good antenna and a booster remember an antenna is an antenna. HD is a slang to sucker you in. I'm using a 35 year-old antenna and get over 80 stations. I've been reading up on the new Channel Master Android box with antenna in and a free preview guide and DVR there are also other boxes out there that will record some under a hundred . Then you also have the options of all the different APK for Android like Tranium, Mobdro, and Kodi. I use Kodi and stream from a TV tuner in my PC. And after initial cost free free free free words to cable company don't want to hear

Memory serves correctly the transcoder is the workhorse of the system. Does the NAS have its own built-in transcoder and if so what happens to the transcoder in the HD Homerun Quatro? My thinking on using the Quatro; four TVs in the house what if they all want to watch live TV? Lastly what effect does additional Quatro have to the project and is it even OK to have two online?

Rud Dog take a look at the specs of the NAS. Some have strong CPUs, some have hardware acceleration. Typically you install plex media server (PMS) directly on the NAS. You want to make sure it can transcode well. This allows you to have very light frontends.

I used to have a windows XP machine with a tuner card that I used exclusively for recording TV shows.

Windows media centre is still better than the recording features on my cable box Plus it also allowed burning to a DVD. There was a TV guide that was provided through media centre to set up recording’s don’t know if it’s available in windows 10 as all my machines run windows7

I don't think I saw this mentioned, so I'll just say.... don't overlook the option of simply giving up on TV shows altogether. You might find you end up not missing them and just filling your time with something else. When I bought my first house, I delayed getting cable until I got situated with all the new bills. By the time I was able to, I found I didn't miss it at all. Now (married with a son), we have Netflix and Amazon Prime, which I only occasionally watch. The only things I watch regularly are podcasts and a few YouTube channels.

People talk about the latest episodes of popular TV shows, I have no idea what they're talking about and I'm perfectly fine with that.

At no point over the past decade have I sat with nothing to do and thought "boy, I wish I could just turn the TV on and watch something".

It's just an option... we get so locked into what we "need" that we never consider if it's something actually necessary.

Chris O'Riley yes it is something one can eliminate from one's life but in my case, I have reached the age where I love watching certain programs. Documentaries, local news, world news, Twit, Youtube, and a few silly shows. I like watching them when it suits me (DVR). I have plenty of time after viewing my selections, view during the evening hours. My days are free to carry out what I call projects and my wife refers to as to-do-list. So I have a healthy balance for my lifestyle just don't like being held at gunpoint for my cable.

I can also appreciate your breaking the link between you and the money hungry giants in this world.

• 4 weeks later...

Nelson Jesudas After reading the responses decided to review the hardware suggested. The ChannelMaster DVR+ was something I could live with and my streaming for Netflix and Amazon were an input button away via my Roku. So I went searching for the Channel Master and to my surprise can't find anyone selling this box; disappointed.

Rud Dog, I don't know what the DVR+ is. I suggested the Stream+ in my previous post. It's an Android TV box w/ an ATSC tuner. So you could probably run many of the streaming apps on it directly too.

Does anyone know if Fire TV/Fire stick, etc. have Antenna input?

If so, that might be another way to go. (though I doubt there's DVR support)

Paul Hutchinson yeah ran into it about an hour after I posted that comment. Now doing research why they would kill the first one and do a second. The difference would tell me alot. To be honest I liked the flat physical make up over the puck looking device.