Hey guy, I am new to programing

G+_Kevin Naegele

Hey guy, I am new to programing. I have started learning about a year ago and was not able to give it the time it deserves. I am now for 2015 going to make it a goal to add programing as a skill. I have chosen to start with Ruby, but is this a good first start? I would like to here your thoughts. 

Personally, I would say start with whatever language interests you the most. If that's Ruby, then go for it! You'll probably be more willing to stick to it if you're enjoying what you're learning (and you're actually USING the language for something your into). My first language was C++ and all DOS style command line apps... BORING! But I made it fun by making little games, like command line Battleship... It was horrible - One huge 2d array for the board, computer was almost unbeatable... But you know what, I loved it, so I stuck with it. 

yeah, sometimes I get the hang of it, but then I get stuck. there are not a lot of great starter project for ruby. I have done the famous blog. But I feel like I have no idea from where to go to add features, or just make something else. I have been happy with a few, but sometimes just getting stuck.

You'll get that with any language, especially when you're self teaching. I've never used Ruby, so I can't really help you with any specifics. It seems, or seemed, haven't heard much about it in awhile, to be fairly popular, so I bet there are tons of sites for tutorials and help. Sometimes you just have to start coding and making mistakes though ;) And remember, if it isn't on Stack Overflow it cannot be done LOL

• 2 weeks later...