I just finished watching the Steve Gibson episode and was really blown away

G+_Pete Murphy

I just finished watching the Steve Gibson episode and was really blown away. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good book that might cover the basics Steve was talking about (binary, hexadecimal, how computers add up etc). I know there must be some heavy intro text books out there but perhaps someone from experience has an idea of a good book for just sitting down in the evening and reading? (I am trying to get a soft start :-)

I tried looking on Amazon but the books tended to be very basic computer manuals (e.g. computers for people over 50s etc), they weren't really intro to coding books or how computers think books,

Many thanks in advance.

Petzold's book is a more general-audience introduction to the concepts and history, but I certainly second the recommendation. Nand2tetris is a more complete detailed project of actually building a working machine from the ground up.

Both of them start from electrical components and build toward the common PC, which always bothered me a bit since it leaves out the stuff before electronics and after the PC. One of my projects on the back burner is a book that goes from rocks to Wikipedia, necessarily less detailed than either of these, but wide rather than deep.?