How does the AAA panel feel about the possibility Gameloft may be using Airpush?

G+_Bryce Bolling

How does the AAA panel feel about the possibility Gameloft may be using Airpush?

I, and others, started getting notifications yesterday in our notification tray from the Gameloft game Asphalt 7.

I emailed Gameloft customer support and they replied with a link to the Airpush opt-out page. Why would they send me to the Airpush opt-out page if they aren't using Airpush?

How do you feel about the intrusiveness of ads served to your notification tray by Airpush? Am I being overly sensitive, or is this a good topic for an episode of AAA?

I'm not familiar with the game or the company - but anyone pushing ads outside of their own program (and in this case into the notifications area) deserves a boycott. This is similar to the old "pop under" or "pop up" ads that web browsers have (mostly) blocked.

I've never had Airpush installed - however, can you block the notifications from it in Jelly Bean like you can from other apps (by toggling off the "show notifications" check box)?

Airpush itself is not an app. No one installs Airpush.

Airpush is a company that sells the Airpush system to Devs. Devs incorporate Airpush into their apps to serve ads to the notification tray.

It is possible to turn off notifications for an app in the general android system settings (Apps > "app x" > Check to block notifications.

This solution has at least three problems, however, 1. It's only in 4.1 and up; 2.most people don't know about this setting; and 3. it would stop ALL notifications from an app, including the ones you might actually want.

You can read more about Airpush here:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/452862-list-apps-using-airpush.html

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/328149-airpush-do-you-want-ads-in-your-notification-tray.html

http://androidforums.com/application-development/328152-airpush-note-devs.html

I also gave it a 1star review and made it clear in my review that it maybe uses Airpush based on the reply I received from the Gameloft CSR.

Johan Appelgren I would agree that most people don't care about the permissions some apps ask for, but when it comes to Airpush I believe people care a lot as evidenced by all the posts I see from new users on Android forums asking why they are suddenly getting ads in their notification tray. It often seems to be because of Airpush.

UPDATE: I sent this tip to the Phandroid blog, and apparently Gameloft or Airpush are now challenging the story. I've sent the emails I received from the Gameloft support person to Phandroid to show to the rep questioning the article. In fairness to Gameloft, I've edited my language a bit above to reflect that they may be using Airpush (given the response I received from their customer support) but I'm giving them a chance to explain.