Concept-to-Code, a better way of teaching coding

G+_Darryl Medley

Concept-to-Code, a better way of teaching coding. I just finished watching episode 33 about C# classes and even though it started with Padre saying that Coding 101 teaches concepts, not just syntax, we are soon watching LouMM quickly go through screens of code and explaining what it's doing. I, a pro coder, found it kind of hard to follow so I can only imagine how a beginner could follow along. I think the problem is that this style of presentation is opposite of the development process. When programming, the code comes naturally from an understanding of what needs to be done as it's broken down into logical steps. I think describing the reasons for the code and then creating or showing the code would be easier to follow. Here's a sample of that dialog: "I need to add currency handling to my financial programs. Since I need it in multiple programs, I'm going to create a class in it's own file so I can reuse it. Because each currency has it's own symbol, the class will have a property to hold the symbol. Also, I'll need a method to convert from other currencies plus an array to hold the exchange rates for the conversion method..." While these things are being explained, the code is shown being added to the class. So the difference is that you first learn the reason for the code and then the code that meets the need. I find this much easier to follow. I know that this stuff is hard to teach in a 45 min. show but I think that following the true development process would help understanding advanced concepts.

Valid points! I too find it easier when I'm presenting with something that I want to figure out, then delving into the code. I found this site recently, and did a short review of it on another show, called Check.iO. They present a problem and tell you what they want to solve, then you take the code from there... http://www.checkio.org/