No love for Perl?

G+_Darryl Medley

No love for Perl? There seems to be a significant decrease in the number of user-submitted programs here for the Perl module compared to the Python module and I was curious as to why. Some possible reasons: 1. People find Perl hard to grasp or don't like it. 2. It's Summer and we have better things to do. 3. No specific homework assignments in the shows. 4. Viewers losing interest. 5. Lots of viewers know Python, few know Perl. Please share your thoughts.

I personally have had life get in the way and have not been able to submit any, but hope to soon. I learned to program with perl, so it's near and dear but I can also see where it might throw some people for a loop. For those people I encourage asking questions here in the community. No matter how dumb you think the question might be, feel free to ask as you may not be the only one with that question, but were the first to ask. There seems to be code monkeys of all levels and backgrounds in here and asking questions and getting your code viewed and reviewed is how we grow as programmers and how we learn new tricks. For those that are still reading.... stay curious my friends!

I think that perhaps beginning users needed some more "building blocks" before they got hit with the tough stuff.  Instead of the last two shows being all about regular expressions, could we have seen a show about FOR and WHILE loops?  Then how about a show on subroutines, and passing arguments and command-line arguments?  Then we can have a show on reading and writing files, then the two shows on regular expressions, then perhaps object oriented programming, then the last show would be on CGI and perhaps the CGI.pm module.  

• 2 weeks later...