I enjoyed the Steve Gibson episode, and since he encourages us to get fluent (or at least convers...

G+_Larry Weiss

The thing to keep in mind is that there is no 'one assembler' language. My first exposure to assembler was on an IBM/360 in 1969. In late '74 I learned assembler on a Singer 1500 w/4K of ram - just to move 8 bits you had to load the byte to the 'accumulator' first and then store it to the target location. This was on of the first machines with a 'stack' and the whole thing was implemented in TTL (no microprocessor). Next was 8086 on a Convergent Technologies system.

Assemblers assume that the programmer knows what he/she is doing unlike most of the newer languages that will try to protect you.

Well, yeah, if you're using assembly, then you probably don't want floating point, and vice versa. Two of the most common mistakes I see novice programmers make is using floating point and strings for everything instead of really understanding the nature of their data and how to represent it efficiently.

Lee Crocker Back when I first started in C++ I had a lab partner that would use doubles for EVERYTHING. "You never know how big you'll need your numbers to be" he'd say... Ugh! 

That same class, we did about 3 or 4 weeks of assembly. I made a calculator that could add, subtract, multiply and divide... Boy did I think I was awesome then. :)