Google Voice & MMS

G+_Tom Gehrke

Google Voice & MMS

Was glad to hear that the Google Voice MMS issue wasn't just me. As a new Android convert (after 5 years on the iOS) I thought I might be missing something. Even on the iPhone I was using Google services almost exclusively with the exception of GV since the integration was poor. It was kind of my "vanity plate" phone number.

When I got the S3 I decided to jump right in 100%. So far in that I can't tell you what my phone's actual number is without looking it up. I handed my GV number to everyone. Changed contact information everywhere.

The problem is that I use my phone as an actual phone almost never. SMS messages were coming in with numbers that were those of my friends, group messaging was a problem and MMS didn't work at all.

I had seen these problems as an iPhone user and blamed the Apple walled garden. My assumption was that this was an integration issue that would go away with an Android device. Boy! Is there egg on my face. ;)

I'm kind of just living with things as-is for now and hoping that it gets better sooner rather than later.

At any rate. Love to hear the conversation Jason Howell, Gina Trapani & Ron Richards have on the show. Even if it's tangential it's still valuable, IMO.

Thanks!

I have been using Google Voice exclusively for about 1-1/2 years.  I actually took the pains of transferring my cell number to Google Voice, this way no one else had to change my contact information.  I, like you, have to look up my actual cell number.  There are only 4 people/entities on the planet that know the number: 1) Verizon (they gave it to me); 2) Google (I have to forward the calls); 3) Me (duh); 4) My wife (it's in our shared contact list).

That being said, I've never really got into SMS/MMS (I send/receive maybe 10/month), so most people know that email is the best way to contact me.  Also, Sprint is really great at being open to Google's services.  They support Google Wallet and have tight integration with Google Voice (Gmail).  If it wasn't for coverage and lack of LTE in my area, I might have switched.

Good luck!

Email is too "heavy" for most of what I use SMS/MMS for. Sadly SMS is kind of the only ubiquitous "instant messaging" service. I was hoping that Google would come up with something better (like iMessage, but more open) and then use GV to bridge the gap when it comes to adoption. 

The carrier options in my area are pretty limited. AT&T and Verizon are the only viable ones. No LTE with either.

Verizon's blocking of Google Wallet is a real sore spot with me.

In England sender pays for SMS/MMS and not the recipient whilst in the States its the other way round for SMS.  However, if Google has to pay a fee for passing on MMS messages (as they would probably have to do in England) then I can see why they might resist implementing MMS especially as social networks will likely kill the service in a couple of years anyway.

Tom, this is one of the few issues left for GV to conquer. I'm sure they're working on it. To bad you don't have Sprint in your area. Sprint has an integration with GV that allows you to make your GV # your sprint#, as well as use the stock sms app to send GV messages. I am also able to send and receive MMS thanks to their integration with Sprint. It works really well! Otherwise, I'd use a chatting service like What's App or G+ Messenger to send MMS.

I think I can get Sprint through some arrangement they have with Verizon. I'll have to dig a bit. Joys of living in a small town smack dab in the middle of the US.

I can send/receive MMS via my phone's number. It's just that when a message goes through Google's infrastructure, it gets munged. 

I'd like to throw my $.02 in here.  I love Google Voice, but have the same pains other people have.  Most of my contacts have finally figured out that I can't receive MMS and will just email me the picture or post it somewhere I can see it.  I wish I could send/receive them, but I don't really miss it that much now.

What I don't understand is Google Messenger... It seems to be integrated with G+, but feels like it should be some sort of iMessage competitor.  I feel like it would be a good move to integrate it with Google Voice somehow so that contacts with Google Messenger would get notified there and those without would get text messages.  I like it the few times I've used it, but others don't really seem to use or understand it.