Hi Padre and group

G+_Scott Richards

Hi Padre and group,

I just got my new Razer Blade Stealth. 

Happy to note that it came with Windows Media Player installed  - supposedly removed from Win 10,( but it's in the Windows services list)

My networking question:  I have a home network based on linux/samba, working well with XP and Win-7.  No joy with Win 10.

What settings need to be changed  - Win-10 firewall, network settings, or ?? , that would allow network happiness?

The view from the Old Side, sees all, but only the win-7 box can access the razor -( Um, haven't actually tried that) : but the razor only sees and can access the Win-7 box.

Windows Media Center is gone. WMP was never in danger of being removed as far as I know. Starting with Version 1511 Win 10 now uses a newer version of SMB than what is offered with most Linux distros. I believe the Samba group has released a new version of samba that works, but distros seem to be slow to roll it out. In any event Linux samba and Win 10 networking don't work very well together at the moment.

That's interesting. I'm running the Server 2016 Technical Preview and haven't had any issues with SMB file shares. I've got my Raspberry Pi mapped to a shared folder on my server.

But file/folder sharing in Windows client OSs has been a bit difficult since I think XP SP2. At some point they introduced "Home Groups" that complicated things for those of us used to doing things the old fashioned/business way. Sorry, I'm not currently running regular Windows 10 on any machines at this time.

It might be possible to install Samba 4.3 from source although it looks like people are having problems doing that. Also, I have seen web pages that talk about how to downgrade the SMB version that Windows uses. As an alternative I set up a DLNA server:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce/Set-up-a-DLNA-Server-in-a-Minute

Works with WMP on Win 10.