Never bought a Raspberry Pi, but maybe it 'll solve a problem for me

Never bought a Raspberry Pi, but maybe it'll solve a problem for me. I want to monitor my aging mother, and will probably use a commercial solution that's inexpensive and easy to set up for getting a live feed that allows me to both see and hear her, but she won't be able to hear me. She's got a wireless phone next to her hooked up to AT&T U-verse including broadband internet, but doesn't always answer the phone. I'd like her to hear me as I can hear her without having to initiate a phone call. Or, if a call is needed, I would want it to auto-answer on her side.

I'm very good with Linux and experienced with free phone solutions using Google Voice, callcentric.com, Zoiper... I remember at one time I had an application running on my computer registered with a free ISP server and when called, it would auto-answer. At that time, it was just to make Google Voice outgoing calls easier. That hasn't been necessary for a long time. But, I'm thinking a similar solution could work here, running on the Raspberry Pi. Better though, would be a solution that didn't require SIP/phone calls at all. Just as I will be able to monitor her without her placing or receiving a call, she should be able to hear me without receiving a call.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't want another camera though. Do you mean the ip camera will have 2-way voice ability allowing conversations so just putting it in front of her is all that's needed without there being a 2nd one in front of me? I already found something that would allow us to hear her, what I want is to be able to talk to her (not see me though) at will.

OK - I looked at dropcam, and see that it does allow 2-way communication. So, it is what I'm asking for at about twice what I was thinking of spending, but probably worth it. Still wondering about DIY solutions for adding the ability to talk to somebody in a room you can already see and hear.

If price is the main consideration CCTVHotDeals currently has the Zmodo SKU#: CH-S1A-WACS for $39.99.  I don't know anything about it though. BTW, If you intend to record the video on a network DVR it has to support H.264 and a protocol called ONVIF.  Not all of them do but Zmodo claims theirs do.

Funlux 720P HD Wi-Fi Wireless Network IP Camera with Two-Way Audio

http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/funlux-720p-hd-wi-fi-wireless-network-ip-camera-with-twp-way-audio.html

Sounds like for a DIY Raspberry Pi option you'd want a SIP soft phone with auto answer from your number.

Seems like I heard about a kids smart watch/cell phone that would do the same thing. When the parent calls, it gives the kid a few seconds to respond then just auto answers.