Anyone have experience with Cloudatcost?

G+_Ben Reese

Anyone have experience with Cloudatcost? Seems like a good price, but only if it performs as well as or better than a Raspberry Pi... I generally look at Digital Ocean, but this seems like it would probably be good enough for a small web site and/or OpenVPN server. Cloudatcost's pricing page says gigabit Internet, 2 public IPs, and unmetered monthly transfers.

Thoughts?

http://www.cloudatcost.com/pricing.php

They have other tiers, but everything I'm seeing is a "for life" price. It looks like they rent dedicated hardware starting at $99/mo so maybe that's how they plan on making money. I don't know. Other than that, they'd have to rely on continuous growth which isn't a good business model.

Lot's of bad experiences with Cloud at Cost. I tried them once and got triple billed. They never fixed it.

If you want inexpensive hosting, I'd much rather use Digital Ocean or Vultr (http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6931120 if you want to do me a favor.) Vultr doesn't show you all the options before you create an account and login. Once you do "Storage Instance" shows up and you can choose large HDD instead of SDD, lots of storage for a low price. It's great for NextCloud!

Hehe. Awesome! I'll have to look into Vultr. I need to setup a website and mail server sometime and, while I can host them at home, I'd prefer to reduce the attack surface to my home network. Also, I'm cheap. Digital Ocean's $5/month is great, but I'm on the lookout to find something even cheaper if possible. Yes, I'm that cheap :-)

I have had four servers on CAC for over a year. I monitor them (and my other servers) with UpTimeRobot so that I know when downtime occurs. The way I figure it, the servers have paid for themselves already.

NEGATIVES:

1) you get what you pay for - in this case, that usually means service. The more knowledgeable you are the better the deal. Issue response time can easily be a week.

2)Sometimes response time as measured by SSH command and response from server, can be longer than desired. (The V in VPS can mean over-sold).

3) One does wonder re: efficacy of their business plan.

4) No CAC forum. Tutorials from DigitalOcean and some discussion via Reddit threads.

PLUSes -

1) Lifetime for 17 bucks. (use frequent discounts)

2) If you are building a server. Use CloudFLare CDN, I highly recommend. One of my CAC servers hosts http://www.tr4w.net

It seems very solid over last year.

3)Unlike shared server, the VPS gives you full control.

4)IMO, whatever you end up with, have enough OTHER servers that you can backup with RSYNC. Incredibly fast server-to-server backup. AKA piece of mind.

You do not have to look hard to see many negative comments, just saying I have had good experience with them.

At a minimum, I can say the uptime on my servers has been very good.