Does anyone have a favorite personal "cloud " solution they recommend?

G+_Ben Reese

Does anyone have a favorite personal "cloud" solution they recommend? I'm trying out ownCloud right now and it works pretty good. I've read that nextCloud is taking the place of oC in the future.

I'm wanting:

multiple users

external CIFS/SMB share support

SSL/TLS (must)

ability to share links to files with non-users

Most of this is available from Dropbox/Google Drive, but they're so limited or expensive for storage. Plus, I don't want to have to trust them with my data.

Eddie Foy NextCloud and ownCloud (tho I'd ignore the latter in favor of the former now) both operate to the user exactly like most other "cloud" offerings. File sync, online multi-user document editing, calendars, etc, are all about the same as what you get with the paid for offerings.

Now that NextCloud has Collabora integration, they can offer voice and video chat/conferencing as well.

The term "cloud" has been around since I can remember to reference the Internet as a whole from a networking standpoint. In my opinion, once it's made accessible outside your personal LAN, it becomes part of the "cloud".

I agree, though... WAY overused.

And I'll probably give NextCloud a shot. I just cloned the VM to install it there. I've already tried getting some family members to give it a shot, so I don't want to go and break it just yet (kinda turns them off from tech if it doesn't work). I'm real curious to hear if others suggestions though. Just heard Leo say he's trying Sandstorm and that sounds like an interesting concept too. Almost Dockr-like.

Eddie Foy Hehe. Not external to the network - just external to the server. Like, in this case, I've got ownCloud running on a VM and I created a new owncloud user on Windows. That Windows user can't log into the computer, but can access the CIFS shares I grant him access to. SO... The CIFS/SMB share isn't publicly accessible except through the ownCloud interface. Then ownCloud is running on a VM hosted on my Windows machine (for now). In other words, Port 445 is not open through my router, but 443 is.

And locally hosted servers bring up another point... Security if this Linux server is compromised then the rest of my network is at risk.

I think I need to setup fail2ban.

I'm using a randomly generated, secure password for the ownCloud admin account - which I'm assuming is stored securely, but hard to know for sure without looking at source (and knowing what I'm looking at/for)...

I'm pretty sure I set firewall rules when I originally setup Let's Encrypt and WordPress. (Still, that's just the second layer since my router is the 1st.)

Thats just ACLs.  (but you did say external)

Ponder LDAP in all its glory, and agony. Its the open standard  that MS proprietarized into Active Directory.  Having a central spot for ACLs/group policies. is a good thing and easier to maintain in the long run.

Shouldn't need to look at the source for how onecloud stores PWs.  It should be in the docs/freely available. (if not, RUN from it) bcrypt is a killer one.  Beyond slow on a HashCat rig. (I get about 15billion MD5 a sec, 272K WPA's a sec and about 4 bcrypt's a second)

(My rig is 3x Radeon R9 270's)

WordPress itself is usually pretty OK.  It the plugins and themes that cause trouble (but that IS a WP core problem)  Get yourself wpscan and run it on every WP, plugin, theme change, upgrade, addition.

See, ultimately I'd love to create a drop-in server that someone could plug into their network and have photo storage, video player, sharing (public and private network side), etc. I think Synology is probably the closest to that currently and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a NextCloud/ownCloud app for Synology.

Travis Hershberger ownCloud has been around a lot longer, so it wouldn't surprise me of most just haven't heard of NextCloud - I hasn't until a few days ago.

But that brings up the question: what's the difference? I still haven't tried NextCloud. What does it offer that ownCloud doesn't?