Hey Fr Robert Ballecer, SJ or anyone else in the community can the new Intel Stick be used as ...

G+_T Nohands

Hey Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ  or anyone else in the community can the new Intel Stick be used as a dedicated machine to recover or repair other devices? like scanning, prep, recovery with SpinRite use usb to use on console ports or use software that can analyze networking and cables as close to a Fluke like device as possible? Are there ways to turn one into a portable computer and network Analyze & Repair shop with a wifi remote access and controlled by another computer for safety of separation? (Also without hands I need a touchscreen that work with my stylus, voice control, or a way to use my laptop to control/operate the OS, software, and even launch and run SpinRite without physically touching the Intel Stick as much as possible in my case) I'm curious if any of these desired functions be done on a NUC? With an additional thought could the Intel Stick and the NUCs be used to build cluster computing machines or servers? Does anyone know what's possible with these devices for other than intended use?

I think that an Intel Compute Stick is a serious contender as a spinrite machine.

I'm currently thinking of waiting for the next gen compute stick which has USB 3.0. With a universal USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA connector, you could spinrite something pretty quick like.

I'm interested to see what Padre has cooked up though. Knowing him, he might make something completely unexpected and change my thinking entirely.

Raymond Larabee Jr. I know it's not "Designed" to work like that my question was could it be possible and also a reason I mentioned NUCs at the end. I find I have to design and mod because for me there never is anything I need or want. Close & always almost but never exactly no matter how hard or long I look, so if it could why not?

I can only tell you what I use for SpinRite and that's an older intel motherboard that still has IDE (and has SATA) so that I can use it on anything my Dad brings to me. For most of everything else that I do, I have a Lenovo G50-45 with 16GB of RAM and a 500GB Hybrid drive running Ubuntu with most of what comes with the Kali Linux OS installed on it. If you're looking for a way to do server clusters, the i7 NUC's are ideal for it. Hak5 (hak5.org) is building a server cluster out of NUC's for it's lab enviroment to help those who want to learn about pen-testing. The Intel sticks really are not that powerful unless you get the linux versions of it and you might be able to use it like a back door into a network if you need to. But there are cheaper ways of doing that.