Hey Fr Robert Ballecer, SJ and Bryan Burnett Can a Ras Pi be used to run SpinRite so I can do a...

T Nohands?? how would you hook up the drive? You can use a USB external enclosure but you lose some of spinrites potential when you add USB (unless I'm misremembering). And a raspberry pi will certainly be even slower than a standard desktop processor.

Also Spinrite is written in x86 assembly, so you'd need to translate that to the Rasp Pi's ARM assembly. I have my doubts (though I've never looked) as to how feature-rich ARM is when it comes to reading drives.

I'd lean towards using Spinrite in a Virtual Machine. That way you can still run your operating system as normal and you don't need to worry about hooking up a Raspberry Pi to a HDD..... Or multiple HDDs if you ever have the need!?

That said, I'm curious to know if Rasp Pi is actually a feasible Spinrite buold!

Ah, here's an idea for a dedicated Spinrite box... I've seen laptops on Craigslist for <=$100 and you can get a SATA extension cable from Amazon for ~$5 (SMAKN 22-pin (7+15) Sata Male to Female Data and Power Combo Extension Cable - Slimline Sata Extension Cable M/f - 20inch (50cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9R3AKA/). Spinrite can boot off USB and your disk to spinrite could he connected to SATA. Might take a bit to get the SATA cable connected inside the laptop, but easy to connect drives after that.

I've used spinrite with qemu/KVM on my Linux boxes with root privileges and it performed the same as the same machine with bare metal booting. This was also the only way at the time that I could run it on my '08 Macbook because of the EFI limitations. The one problem I always run into is USB enclosures.

Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ Padre is there anyway we can Lie about the Pi, maybe use a VM on a cluster config or would the VM fail to launch? What if we could exploit the USB vulnerability so the usb drive thinks it's a 64 gig computer with an amd/intel processor put it in a synology nas or plug a spare hard drive dock and usb drive in a usb hub plug the hub in to an ethernet converter use a roll over cable to run a remote desktop launch is there no way to fib to spinrite about what hardware it's really on? Surely with a black outfit white collar you should have a grey hat if not lie to SpinRite maybe Steve won't mind if you peek under the hood and do a little tinkering with his program also Father I put my faith in you discovering a way don't you have faith to? Think of it as a coding challenge just be kind if you succeed would you share with us.Wonder if this will keep you awake at night til you solve this one from 1 adhd to another lol

Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ ah man totally crushin the ideas that would be priced fairly for a quad ah well maybe I can find   a cheap unused LG775 system board any way I hope you got 1 good picture of that hot raspberry Pi I sent now that is both cool and pointless at the same time I got to get 1 but the whole can't run spinrite on it means I'll have  to find another excuse :(