Looking for a solution for security purposes

received_1558607767488114.jpeg

Looking for a solution for security purposes. Basically what I'm looking for is for when someone steps on our porch some motion sensors will detect them and I get a notification on my phone and also strobe lights set off to alert anyone passing by and to potentially warn the thief that we already know he's on the premise?

You could use a security camera(s) with Blue Iris software. The Blue Iris Software would create your eMail message as well as activate external alarm contacts to flash your strobe or other action. Using Blue Iris allows you to select the "zones" of the image that you want to alarm. It also creates video clips for storage. If your cameras have microphones you can also include a recording with the video clip. The cameras don't necessarily have to be expensive. There are many choices of cameras at less then $200.00. You would also purchase a copy of Blue Iris software but that is not that expensive either at around $60.00.

I don’t have the exact setup you’re looking for but at https://shop.smartthings.com/products I have the Multipurpose Sensor on my front door. When the front door opens I’ve set it up to send me a text message on my phone and also turns on the smart light bulb I have in my hallway light. They do have a Motion Sensor that should work the same way my Multipurpose Sensor does. I don’t think they have a strobe light but you could use a normal smart light bulb in a porch light of some sort. I know this is not the silver bullet you’re looking for but this is all I can speak of from experience. Also, I’d be a little iffy on the distance of the motion sensor, not sure how far it goes. (Looks like it's made for indoor use) I look forward to any other suggestions anyone might have on this topic.

The Synology Surveillance Station will do motion detection and notification, but I'm not sure if it will do the alarm portion. I haven't tried notifications yet, but it was fairly simple to get the motion detection setup.

I almost think a cheap alarm system may be your best option - just because it's an out-of-the-box solution. The Ring doorbell is probably a good solution if it works, but it sounds like it's not always reliable.

DIY Know How method would probably be the PIR sensor or a Raspberry Pi with a camera and motion detection software.