Looking to make a RC car bot

G+_Eddie Foy

Looking to make a RC car/bot.

But I want it slow walking speed (max 2x walking speed)

As a base for a robotics platform.

Ideas?  I grabbed a $10 WalyWorld RC to to play with.

All the RC cars and such I see are looking to go as fast as possible.

The tanks are probably slower but not what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys!

I've looked at all of those, along with others from ServoCity, Polu etc.

But some of the caveats are:

brush-less vs brushed.

Gearbox input speed if using brush-less motors.

The Lunchbox build is the typical go-fast car.

Have a feeling I'll be doing a full DIY.  Grab a couple of PICs (sorry, not an Arduino fan boy) and H-Bridges and rolling my own controller.

Eddie Foy My gut says go brushed. I hesitate to say this because I don't know if it is true, but my gut says that a brushed motor will give you more torque during stall condition than 3 phase motors. I think this is true because in a brushed motor, your magnetic field is always placed in optimal location. In a 3 phase motor, your stator has to chase the rotating magnetic field.

However, 3 phase motors are probably more compact, simpler (aka more robust) and won't produce as horrific emi compared to the brushed counterparts. But at the size you're talking about, emi probably won't be a big deal.

And brushed are MUCH easier to do speed control on.  Simple H Bridge with a  PWM and directional signal. (and a little filtering/buffering to reduce noise.

Trip phase does create noise when it has speed control.  All industrial freq drives use shielded cables on the output side.