So I am trying to replace the harddrive in a designjet 800

G+_610GARAGE

So I am trying to replace the harddrive in a designjet 800. I am using compact flash with an ide adapter, but its not working. I am wondering, are new compact flashes fully backward compatible?

I am also wondering if the data copied over to the new drive correctly. The original drive didn't contain any partitions. So I wonder if that is messing stuff up. I first tried dd, then I tried something called HDD Raw Copy Tool. Both produced the same image.

However, there is something weird with the original drive. It's a 20gb drive, but it only shows up as a 5.59 gb drive. ?????? Could there be a hidden partition that I am missing on my new drive. Is there a way that I could find this out?

Sorry for the delay, it's been a hectic weekend. I've tried something similar to gparted and it showed that the original disk was unpartitioned and had a 5gb capacity.

Brian Moses I tried that last night. It showed three partitions. Adding up to 5gb. But the new disk and old disk looked the same (except for the size of the new disk). 

After doing some research, I found the datasheet for the ide controller. It says that it can use UDMA 2. So I am now leaning toward UDMA 7 not being backwards compatible with UDMA 2. However googling has left me nowhere. You would think that this would be specced out somewhere.

So now I am trying the hard drive out of the computer that controls the scanner. I was hoping to avoid this, but it seems to be the only way to find out what is happening. :(

Thanks for your ideas.