So here 's an odd question for you all SSD in an hp wide format printer?

G+_610GARAGE

So here's an odd question for you all. SSD in an hp wide format printer?

So My company just bought a designjet 800 wide format printer (used). I'm backing up and replacing the harddrive before something bad happens and forcing my company to spend $500 on a refurbished drive.

Looking for a 2.5" ide hard drive on amazon, I came across a ssd made by Zheino that has a ide interface (still trying to figure that one out). So I am wondering if that would be a better option than a spinning disk.

My concerns are quality (are knock offs still unstable) and defragging. I don't know if the printer performs defragging on the disk or not. I would love to hear your guys opinions.

http://www.amazon.com/Zheino-44pins-Solid-State-Laptop/dp/B00QQ7TKS4

http://www.amazon.com/Zheino-44pins-Solid-State-Laptop/dp/B00QQ7TKS4

I used to be a wide format printer tech (not that this proves any credible expertise). I can't see much benefit from spending so much on an on board drive for a printer as slow as wide formats are. I'd be more inclined to install something like a WD blue or maybe even a red, since low power consumption in standby would be more of a factor than speed.

clay vitus I'm not worried about speed. I mean I'm going over IDE. How much speed could I get. I am more looking at power consumption and durability. I'm also looking at cost. SSD is cheaper than spinning disk. How'd that happen. ??? I wonder if disk manufacturers stopped making ide hard drives.

David Violino That's good to hear.

If it's not running Windows, it's probably running Linux and wouldn't need to be defragged (or so I've heard). If you're just cloning the original and that will be your backup, I'd think it would be worth the SSD - especially at that price. I agree that it would be better to replace it now while it still works, and I suspect a good SSD would last longer than HDD.