I 'm looking for a standalone security camera

G+_610GARAGE

I only have experience with the Panasonic IP cams, but they worked real well when I was installing them 8 years ago lol. The one we had setup at the office could be given a schedule and would email photos anytime it detected movement in that time frame. I've still got thousands of snaps in my mailbox from the boss coming in on the weekend ?

I imagine most brands and models should have SD support and motion detection.

Wondering if 610bob was looking for short video clips rather then pics being sent. That was something I was interested in as well.

On a secondary note: Was wondering how high resolution the pics would be as police support around here depends on the clarity of the photo.

Lower budget IP cams I used are the Zmodo Easy Cam and Lorex Ping 104. Zmodo is newer with built in two way audio. They have standard SD card slot for recording. Day/night video and you can set up motion detection video record. Remote access and can start/stop video remotely.

These cams are stand alone and just require wifi. ?also, these are indoor only cameras.

610bob do you want indoor or outdoor and how many? Price raange?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Talking with my dad, I found out that it has to be a bit small as to not be noticeable. Around 2 inches tall.

I also don't have access to networking. If it needs a connection just to set up, that would be fine, but if it needs it to run, that would be a problem.

It will be outside, but it will be under cover, so an indoor camera will work.

Price range is around $100.

I will only need 2 cameras.

I need to be able to see someone's face at about 40 feet away. So hd is probably a requirement, with good optics.

Sorry for not including this in my original question.

As for the camera, I have no suggestions as to model, but I've found that stills and video shot at night are typically lower resolution, whether because a second sensor is used or because several pixels are summed to "see" more of the available light.

I use a camera from Moultrie for WIMBY pics. I've noticed that artificial light from the watchman or a porch light causes the camera to trigger less often, so that could come into play for you, as well.

IR floods mounted away from the camera are a good idea for keeping the insect photobombs to a minimum. You may find some usable info or kits at element14.

Honestly, I think you're going to have to adjust your budget to get good quality low-light images at 40 feet. Or have more cameras closer to the target area to ensure good coverage and adequate image quality. Fake birdhouse camera enclosures, perhaps?

Thanks for all of you suggestions, after thinking about it, I think our best bet is what Ben Reese suggested. It is probably not the best picture, but it will fit. I was also thinking that a phone zoom lense might work. We only need to monitor a small area, so duct taping on a lence might improve picture quality.

martin rednal That looks like it would work, but the price and ship time might be a bit much. But I will keep it in mind just in case.

Also, low/no light is not a problem. What we are trying to see will only happen during the day. Which is another thing that I should have mentioned in my original question. Sorry.