This is my first time posting here

This is my first time posting here,

I want to know if its possible to write a script or in someway automate importing photos from my sd card into windows. I use windows 10 and I shoot in raw plus jpeg and would like to automatically sort them into separate folders on import. Is there a way to do this? If so, since my current level of programing knowledge consists of having dropped out of a basic c++ and fortran class in college in 2000, where do I learn how to do this?

Thanks a lot.

The way I would do it is to manually dump all the files from the SD card into a folder. Then I would have my script (either Python or bat script) separate and move them. Python might be able to handle the first step too of automatically importing into your staging folder from the SD card.

You don't always want your photos to go into the same folder, so you can have your script ask you where to put them as part of the import.

Where to learn to do this? One book I've read that is helpful is called "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python." If you don't want to buy it, you can probably get it through your library or their inter library loan system.

I think there are a few tools that can do this out of the box - including the importer built into Windows.

My parents use the Canon Camera utility, but they sort into folders by day.

Google's Picasa has an Import Photos option.

On the other hand, I don't want to discourage you from trying it with a script. PowerShell is a great language for this.

Thank you, I'll look into those options. I appreciate the book recommend I'll see if my library has it. Also I'll look into the Canon utility. I would like to learn a little about scripting and thought this would be a good project but if I get a little hung up on it I'll keep the Canon utility in mind.

Open File Explorer, Click on Type at the top. This will sort by type then click on the first jpeg file, scroll down to the last jpeg file, hold the shift key and click on the last jpeg file. Right click, select Copy (or Cut). Go to the Jpeg folder on the C drive and Right click Paste.

Or open a open a cmd window. Type:

XCOPY X:\sdsource\photos\*.jpeg c:\UserDest\MyPhotos\jpeg

then repeat for raw.

Hope this is helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...