I am looking for a router recommendation

I am looking for a router recommendation. My current one is a Buffalo DD-WRT router, I hoped it would have regular updates but it dropped off even the dd-wrt compatable list almost as soon as I bought it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a solid home router, doesn't need bells and whistles, or even wifi (I can repurpose my old one for wifi if need be). It just needs to reliably get security updates and at least 4 ports plus a WAN.

Padre recommends a Synology (RT2600AC @ $199). I am still going to say (I have posted 2x other times about this) build a PfSense system and have Enterprise grade routing and fire-walling for $250.

You don't have to buy their appliance you can use any computer with 2 NICs.

pfsense.org - pfSense® - World's Most Trusted Open Source Firewall

Before you do check the reports the router in my case RT-AC87u reboots on its own. I switched to the Google Wifi hardware. Repeatedly asked about this intermittent problem and was told to ship it to them at my cost. And they would look at it and let me know if it needed repair or replacement. At my cost.

I would not write off the low star ratings till you search for problems with their routers. The one I owned was expensive and problematic when it came to rebooting. I sent the log in showing the problem and got no help other then what I mentioned above. BTW the log showed the router rebooting but they had no answer. All I am saying is do a search on the reported problem herein and if you feel comfortable with the Asus product, by all means, go for it. Take it as an FYI.

Personally, I'd look a separate devices. I'd look for a router and a AP. Often the place to put the router is not best place to put the wireless AP.

So here is what I recommend:

Wifi AP: Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Lite ( ubnt.com - Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® AP AC LITE ) These go for about 80 USD. Great quanity wireless AP point.

Router: Ubuquiti EdgeRouter X ( https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ ) This is a great little router for about 55 USD. This router has been recommended by Steve Gibson repeatedly.

So for about 130 USD, you can have good enterprise level hardware for less than cost of some pro-sumer level network hardware. It also disconnects your wireless and router for added security and ease of upgrades.

If you're looking for a #pfsense, I highly recommend taking a look at Qotom's hardware offerings. They have lots of SFF hardware that's really designed for pfSense hardware. In some of their kits, they have pfSense pre-installed. Just make sure you get a CPU that have the AES acceleration on board. This one does: amazon.com - Amazon.com : Qotom-Q355G4 Mini PC Intel i5 5250U AES-NI Pfsense as Router Firewall Fanless 4 Ethernet LAN Barebone System Small Mini Desktop Computer : Computers & Accessories

Ben Tyger I'm using the AP AC Lite and Edgerouter X combo. After many big $$$ routers that had to be retired for losing either the LAN ports or Wifi, I decided to componentize! bought a 2nd identical router to have on standby...I can get a 2nd AP in short order or throw in an old router as a temp as Tyson Vanover mentioned. Its been flawless since mid March.

Thumbs up for the Ubiquiti routers and AP's. I have two edge routers and an AP in my home and could not be happier. I have also used the airfiber for projects at work. It is vary easy to attach an apple router for wifi and push the DNS and IP service to the edge router.

But from what Father Ballecer says the firewall setup on the Synology routers is much easier.