WARNING NOT QUAD MATERIAL

WARNING NOT QUAD MATERIAL.

Okay quick Q for the network/server geeks.

Running a Freenas Server ( Four 2 TB HD in Raid Z2, AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor, 16 gig ram  )

Using a Win7 box as a media PC hooked up to TV ( Intel i5 cpu, 6 gig ram ) .

I installed Plex on the Win7 box and pointing to folders on my FreeNas Box. but i noticed in the Freenas Plugins that they have a Plex server option also.

Whats better.??.. leave the PLEX Server on the Win7 box and do some "load balancing" or leave it all too the FreeNas server to do all transcoding and streaming ?

i think leaving the freenas box a pure NAS is probably better unless the Freebsd version of PLEX is much better ??

Let me know what you think .

Nick

I'm sorry. This is one of my triggers. Now I'm having a panic attack about whether my Synology NAS is properly backed up. ;-)

My understanding about whether to install a Plex server on your NAS is that it depends on a few things:

1. File server protocols aren't optimized for streaming video, so if you're getting poor video performance, you might want to install the Plex server and see if it helps.

2. Whether you want the NAS to do the transcoding. Personally, I would think that your PC would do a better job at that than your NAS, but YMMV.

3. Whether you want Plex to serve video to a device that doesn't understand network shares. My playstation works, really badly, with DLNA, but it also has a Plex client, so installing Plex on my Synology make sense if I wanted to stream video from it.

I only use Plex for my Roku.  I don't stream to a phone (yuck!) or tablet.  So I encode everything for the Roku and dump on the Plex server (Synology NAS)

If you are having network congestion, you could pop a second card into both the Win7 & FreeNAS machines and have them have a direct isolated link.

If its a CPU loading issue, I'd let the Win7 machine to the xcoding.

I would also look into VortexBox (http://vortexbox.org/about).  I'm in the process of setting that up in my home.  It works as the back end media server, with my PS3, PC, and Kodi (xbmc) devices on the front end.  VortexBox is geared to media storage rather than flat file NAS storage. VB and Kodi are managed by different folks, but are aware of each other and seem to play well together (even mentioning each other on their websites).  I haven't played with Plex any so if you are invested in it, just ignore me, hehe.

Well I guess my first instinct was right .. keep freenas box as a Storage and let the media center do all the transcoding and what not. I moved to a new home so i still have to hard wire my home back to my switch/router and NAS ... Nothing better than a fully wired home .. wifi is practical but... you know...