Brand spankin ' new owner to a Synology 218+ here Questions:

G+_Joel Pomales

+Joel Pomales

"I am pretty sure (without even looking under the hood) that QuickConnect will establish an SSL connection, using Synology servers."

I think QC will hand us off to the Nas and we setup a secure connection to the NAS, so we have an encrypted connection directly to the server... Synology should not be able to see anything or act as m-i-m.

Sounds like an interesting test, I'll start up Wireshark to confirm this weekend.

Hi Everyone,

I did some further testing on the use of the cert when setting up a secure connection to my NAS.

I have not opened up any ports on my router - as the NAS will poll the quickconnect server and see if anybody is "knocking on the door" to connect to it.

I expected as soon as I my browser connected to the QuickConnect server, the two incoming requests would be "linked"and a secure connection would be setup using my NAS's certificate.

In reality, when I connect with my brower the secure connection is using a COMODO certificate (....) whereas I have a Lets Encrypt installed on my NAS. This means Synology is acting as a proxy in this setup. Not only will this slow down my link to the NAS, they are also able to read all my data. That's obviously not what I want.

I understand this is the "last resort" quickconnect takes if it cannot find alternative methods - as it is also able to perform a handoff as I described above. Will need to dig into that to set that up ....