Alright Almost one week in with the Synology DS-218+ Verdict? Best tech investment I 've ma...

G+_Joel Pomales

Alright.

Almost one week in with the Synology DS-218+. Verdict?

Best tech investment I've made in a while.

The NAS OS, Diskstation, is so versatile. By itself it has provided value to me in many ways. They sell the term 'personal cloud'. Yes. Yes it is. It's a very powerful feeling to know that you're fully under control of your data and not some company out there.

I've made almost all of my devices look at the NAS and I've had zero issues. Speeds inside and outside my network are relatively good (it depends on the network. The guest network at work is crap, so my experience is not optimal). Over cellular? Great too.

The apps for the most part work OK. A bit slow when logging in to the NAS and the DS Music app crashes a bit. But it is usable.

Will need to finalize a strategy to backup the NAS somewhere, and this will be it. I've enough disk space to last me a couple of years.

Totally agree to your conclusion, I bought a 418 two months ago and like the versatility a lot.

I moved almost all my drive, Dropbox and OneDrive data to the NAS, feels good to be in control of my own data again.

For now I'm relying on a local HDD backup, but I'm considering a cloud solution to store encrypted daily backups.

I'm interested to hear your views on backup method and location, and if you choose cloud which provider you choose.

Yes Agreed. I have a 216 and have to admit that it beats the WD Mycloud EX2 by miles myWD used to freeze stutter on videos and for no reason at all lockout and refuse to work. I finished up having to unplug it from the mains supply before it would reboot and work...Never had this Problem with the 216. it even handles 4k at a decent rate. never had it stutter or freeze on a video yet...I'm very Impressed with my Synology 216. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade to a 4 bay NAS soon. Softwares a little clunky at times. But I can live with that as Synology actually seem to do regular updates.

Travis Hershberger how much is Amazon Glacier and is it for archive storage . I have no need right now for a fast on hand NAS upgrade but I would like some info on Amazon's

I'm still using Micro thumb drive, 2 1 TB external drive

I may have to move into the Synology ecosystem One day ,

For now

Netgear still lives in my home.,

Transferring data out of glacier is what gets slightly more expensive. Storage is only $0.004/GB a month. All the details are available: https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

I still like Backblaze B2. Pricing is simpler, and not that much more money $0.05/GB. Download is much easier to price out as well. After the first GB in a day, it's $0.01/GB. https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

The big difference is that Glacier is meant for archives that are rarely if ever accessed. I think it's actually tape, which would explain the 2 to 3 days to access your data. B2 is actually usable storage, they have cloud partners that use B2 for main storage.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

Marco van Laerhoven Backblaze has been around since 2010. They're the company that designed the first 45drives.com - 45Drives - Home of the Storinator™ - Ultra-fast, Massive Storage Servers chassis, and made the hardware open-source. I haven't looked at their SEC filings, but I know they've been making money for a number of years now. They're also the only company that releases large-scale hard drive failure rates. So the company is making money, and making much more a matter of public record than any other company in the space. I'd say they'll be around for a long time still.