I have a Belkin router and it says that the firmware is up to date but the last time it updated w...

G+_Jim Baker

I have a Belkin router and it says that the firmware is up to date but the last time it updated was a year ago. Should it update more frequently than that? Maybe I need a new router? I understand that router security is a big issue. Any suggestions?

I had a Linksys EA3500 and it was up to date without any updates available since 2014. I retired that router. The best advice I've seen from KH is to get a router that practices regular update management (think Synology/higher end Asus/eero mesh (twit sponsor)/possibly ubiquiti edge router/etc - minimum spend should be 200+ unless you catch a sale - check to see if they say they update it). Typically, the Belkin/Linksys/etc consumer routers are cheap (normally well under 200) and don't give a flying rip about updates. I'm using the Cox Panoramic Router/Modem/Phone combo piece and I hope to hell that they keep it up to date but I'm not holding my breath.

It's hard to say if it needs an update because it is possible that its firmware has not had any security problems found in the past year. Check the official support site and see if your model is still sold and supported. If it's been off the market for more than a year, or Belkin says it's no longer supported, there's a good chance it has problems but won't be fixed. Also look to see if Belkin publishes its support life cycle.