I have a question due to the price I 'll probably just buy a battery for my laptop

G+_Michael Whalen Jr

I have a question due to the price I'll probably just buy a battery for my laptop. It's an ASUS X550VX. However, I was thinking. Could I rebuild the battery and make it better then if I bought a battery for it. I understand the risk of opening up the battery of a laptop. Also if it's better to buy where should I get one for it. Thanks the old one died a 1 year ago. Thanks for any input

I would absolutely NOT recommend that you fool around with operating on your laptop battery. It is my understanding that if any of the contents are even exposed to the air, the cells will spontaneously combust violently. Commonly known as an explosion. Dispose of the battery properly and order a new one. Stay safe.

Look at DIY power walls on YT, He opens old laptop packs to get to the cells. Almost all packs are glued together and are destroyed in order to get the 18650 cells. It all depends on how your pack is made, if it's glued then you'll have little chance of disassembling your pack without destroying it. When you do open it up you'll find that the cells are spot welded together, making it even harder to replace a bad cell.

Look at Average Joe's YT channel, he did the same thing.

To follow on Dan Hockey you might also check My PlayHouse on YT also. Morton is working on his own large battery pack. He has a large battery array now made of old car batteries, but he's assembled a few Li-ion packs from laptop batteries.

If you can disassemble the battery pack with little destruction and feel comfortable with an iron, go for it. But as Dan said it's probably glued closed.

I have tried this before. The problem I ran into is that the battery has circuits in it that detect problems. So when I swapped out the 18650's it never took power from the battery again. This was disappointing. What I have seen done on youtube is people creating a 18650 powered external batteries that connect to your power supply port. Also if you have not worked with Li 18650's you may want to read up on it. If you poke a hole in one it will be bad.

Daniel Stagner that's a good point. I have heard that some battery circuitry has to have constant power and disconnecting the cells breaks that power. Surely there's some way to resurrect even that though.

Related.... The battery on my iPhone 6 died to the point where the charge circuit couldn't. Detect a battery to charge when it was plugged in. The fix was to heat the phone enough to raise the temp and voltage of the battery, then plug it in and let the circuitry cool enough to actually start charging. The phone was done after that. It never charged above 50%, but stayed on long enough for me to get what I needed off.

Ben Reese Yes I do the same thing with my RC LiPo batteries. I used an aquarium heating pad to slowly raise the temp until output voltage is above 3.2 volts in the over discharged cell. Then I turn on the balancer.

Please be warned if you try this, do it in a frying pan and away from flammable material. I have had more than one hobby king nano-tech battery go up in flames.

I think I will probably just buy a new battery. It does look like it's glued and even if I could get it appart. The battery might not be usable due to the protection circuits. Plus I don't want it to catch on fire. I was hoping to make a better battery then what you can buy and last longer. Thank you everyone much appreciated the help.

• 2 weeks later...