Here 's a Synology question that 's been vexing me ever since I started down the rabbit hole a ...

G+_Martin

Here's a Synology question that's been vexing me ever since I started down the rabbit hole a few months back. I came into the world of Synology NAS just as those folks were updating all their core software (Photo Station > Moments, Cloud Station > Synology Drive, etc.) which made things a dog's breakfast for a while in of of itself, but I had particular trouble with Synology Drive. I have most of it worked out now, I think but the one holdout is one way sync. My iMac has a 512 GB SSD, and so space is a little more limited on-device, and I want a way to have an easily accessible drive that sits on the Synology but does NOT sync to the local drive. For some reason, I can't figure an elegant way to do this, and I feel like it's got to be soooooo obvious. But, here I am. Anyone got a workflow to help out? Cheers!

kurterst Thanks for the reply! I think I’ve actually tried that. I attempted to mount a share to the NAS through my iMac, and for a while it worked, but then it wouldn’t automatically reconnect. It somehow loses the link. Maybe I’m concentrating on the wrong thing. It’s possible it isn’t a Synology thing, but rather that I’m not correctly creating the link in on the Mac. Hmm... will take another look today. But to be clear, if I link a folder to the NAS, it cannot be within the drive folder, or else it’ll sync, is that right?

Martin I'm not sure what the problem is. We use Synologies at work, on Macs and Linux. Once the Synology is set up and can be accessed by the Mac, it is a simple matter of cllcking "Network" and selecting the Synology, then opening the desired Synology Shared folder. Which then appears in the Finder sidebar? (Sorry, I'm at home and writing from memory). On Linux, the mounted Synology Share appears as a drive on the desktop.

We work from the files on the Synology, opening and saving back. It's not like Dropbox Sync that has duplicates of files in Dropbox and on the local drive.

George Fromtulsa Sorry if I'm not being clear. I suppose it's because I don't understand myself. I have created a folder on the network, I have created a shortcut to that folder which then appears in the finder sidebar. But when I reboot, for whatever reason, the folder loses the connection, and then I cannot use it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but something is amiss that I'm failing at doing to keep the system a little more stable. I'll give it another try and see if I can give you my steps.

Martin We have our Synology set to require log-ins. Which means even with the log-in ID and PW stored on the computer, the computer has to boot fully before the Synology Folder can be accessed in finder. We turn everything OFF at the UPS / power every night and weekends (no remote access to our Synology). Synology boots fast, but not as fast as computers.

Check your Synology settings for log-in. See if your Mac is storing the LogIn ID and PW.