Has anyone done a home lab using an Intel NUC vs Dell Optiplex for virtualization

G+_Francis Kindred

My 2¢...

The processor, RAM, storage are more important than the shell they're in.

If you can get by with the storage restriction of a NUC, the small form factor would be nice. If need more local storage, a regular desktop/tower would probably be necessary.

My "home lab" is my desktop PC with an i5 and 16 GB RAM. Most of my life is spent inside Windows, so that's running on bare metal with VMs on top using Virtual Box. If more storage is needed for the VM, I can setup an iSCSI LUN on Synology DSM. With this setup, I definitely could get by with an Intel NUC + NAS.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Travis Hershberger and Ben Reese for the comments. Small form factor is nice but not really essential. I'm leaving this in the basement. I have been looking at this dell.com - Inspiron Small Desktop It seems like an awesome deal but I'm so out of the hardware game. Specs: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz) 8 gig DDR4 ram, 1 TB HD. One thing the NUC also shines is the small draw on power. Right now possible use cases for this system, is installing Xen or ESXI and trying to spawn VMs. although I can just spawn VMs on top of the windows.

Francis Kindred I'd recommend going with xcp-ng.org - XCP-ng – XenServer based, Community Powered. instead of XenServer, and Xen itself kinda sucks till you add lots of management layers on top of it. I realize you most likely meant XenServer, but it is two different things.

Than XCP-NG project is XenServer with all the features re-enabled that Citrix pulled out of their free offering. Xen is still the open-source virtulization platform that actually runs both of those.

ESXi and XenServer/XCP-NG should run fine with an i5 and 8GB of ram. The amount of ram would probably limit the amount of things you could do, but something like Fedora Server (no gui) can easily run with 512MB of ram. So depending on what you want you're experimenting with, you could still do a lot more than many people would assume.