The ball is rolling

G+_George Kozi

The ball is rolling.

Originally shared by George Kozi

EU set to announce online anti-terror bill

By EUOBSERVER

TODAY, 16:05

The European Commission is in the final stages of a proposal that will force IT companies like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter to remove online terror propaganda content. Vera Jourova, EU justice commissioner, told reporters the proposal makes it mandatory for companies to delete the offending content. "We simply cannot rely any more on voluntary action of the IT providers," she said. The full proposal will be presented sometime this month.

https://euobserver.com/tickers/142742

Well, we have waited for many years for the tech giants to regulate themselves. The did bupkus, and look where we are... And there is no reason to believe the tech geeks will do so in the future either. I haven't seen a single one of them red in the face with anger that their platform was misused the way it was. All we got was a bunch of "yeah but's"

Now, with this thing, they will have to do something. Look at it as a means of persuasion. People had the same skeptical attitudes and prophecies of doom about the GDPR also...

This will just make more criminals. Just like all the other laws in the name of 'public good'.

Car makers are not at fault for drunk drivers,

gun makers are not at fault for 'gun violence',

knife makers are not at fault for stabbings, ...

computer makers and software developers can not be held at fault for other peoples misuse of their products either...

Your falling into lemmings trap of mass media. All the above are makers and the tools they make. Nothing more.

The misuse is the problem. Anyone can call up any number and act a fool. All IT can do is make a tool to discourage that act. And they made caller-ID... Now the fool can spoof that caller-ID... And back and forth it goes. IT can only do so much...

Car makers put seatbelts into cars, and airbags. and made then not blow up on contact. The law guys made rules for driving and made the police enforce them. I'm not saying I have answers, or that I would like the answers once someone provides them. I'm not the one who should provide answers, The Tech giants and legislators should.

The thing is, the current situation is untenable.

George Kozi the tools(online services) will aquire the teeth when the makers realize that the tool is not being used(popularity drops, they don't get paid). Makers will do what has to be done when they feel the pinch in their wallets.

The makers already gave us the 'helper tools'(block requests). If your not happy with that... Time to find a new tool.

Life online is not the only life.