Any Kitas out there familiar with Insteon home automation products?

G+_G Atkinson

Any Kitas out there familiar with Insteon home automation products? I settled on them as my solution several years ago and, it works, for the most part. But at least once a year something happens that some or all functions cease to work and I have to default and reprogram the whole system (like right now). Calling tech support about it is useless since all they tell me is to start over and reprogram the device. That wouldn't be too terrible except that my leak alarms and garage door open/closed indicator is all on this system so, when it screws up, I get no more alarms and therefore, I'm not protected.

I've never been 100% comfortable with running things like this thru the mother-ship at Insteon (or any other third party) so, my question is, are their modules compatible with anything else? Is there a more modern, standard, non-Insteon controller that I might try and keep my existing control modules? I have too much money tied up in those things to just scrap them, unless I have no other choice.

FYI

I don't really know what the brains of the product you are using but have found similar failures in the IOT world more specifically the NodeMCU. You should be able to program these devices and add them to your wifi network. Unfortunately for me these devices are hit and miss meaning they drop wifi for no apparent reason. This is either when they are right next to the source of the wifi or within reach in the backyard. This happens so much I am considering switching over to devices with ethernet hardwired.

My search for answers has failed to yield any solutions no one seems to have this same problem. Of course, I have run the gambit of ideas and solutions for the wifi drop issue and nothing seems to resolve the issue.

BTW these devices can check Temp, HUmidity, switch on/off light or other items pretty versatile.

I’ve found that the latest generation of Insteon modules, the dual band ones that use power line and RF, are fairly reliable.

Your controller is likely the weak link. I’ve not had good luck with the Insteon hubs. I use a PLM smarthome.com - Insteon USB Modem Interface attached to a computer

There’s also the ISY944 https://www.smarthome.com/universal-devices-isy994izw-controller-insteon-z-wave-support.html I’ve never tried it but seen good reviews.

Also, remember that more than one controller doesn’t work well. An Insteon device with will only send a confusing the controller that issued the command, so with multiple controllers you quickly loose tract of device status.

I’ve been using Insteon products for several years now and I’ve been happy with the results. I don’t use the Insteon Hub as a controller though. The brains of my system is a Mac Mini running indigodomo.com - The Indigo Smart Home System for Mac OS X

It’s a great piece of software that is highly customizable. The community of users are great and very helpful and I can’t give the developers enough praise. Head on over there and check it out.