Preface tp my question: "I am a HUGE fan of cat5 Ethernet

G+_Sean Miller

Travis Hershberger To be fair on the Ubiquiti gear - it's not so much these devices will "start limiting the network speed" but the fact that not all features are implemented in the hardware. For example, the QOS service; if you enable it the device cannot use the hardware offloaded features and is forced to use software instead.

But you're right - in the end the throughput is seriously reduced if you do that.

I don't remember exactly, but when I enabled QOS to ensure I have a couple of MBps available for my voip streams the total throughput was almost halfed so didn't make sense in my case ...

Using Edgerouter X SFP

Marco van Laerhoven Exactly why I wrote that wall of text. Most routers can do routing at line speed, but turn on additional features and that changes quickly. The major difference between Ubiquity and other vendors is that the cost is low enough that people have been able to run tests with all of them, and give us a good idea of what they're really capable of instead of a bunch of marketing hype that bears no resemblance to real world performance.