Assuming Fr

G+_Jerome Semichon

Assuming Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ is "lurking" on the forum once in a while... Our local police force's unmanned aviation support group (Wiltshire Police UASG) came to visit the explorer scouts unit I run (14-18 year olds) tonight. We had one of our little quads the explorers are really proud of but they have some far bigger very cool gear indeed. Amazing to hear the difference UAV are making to law enforcement for a fraction of the cost of police helicopters. In turn, allowing the few police helicopters in the UK to focus on calls where they are really needed. Everyone loved it and learnt lots from it. Gale force winds + rain meant we could not fly or enjoy the thermal imagery but we'll definitely do something again in the spring. Race between police quadcopters and explorer scouts, DIY built quads?

Padre - it's all your fault by the way.... :-)

Steven Atkinson I knew they had something because their UASG won an award last year and a friend who works for Wiltshire Police heard something about it. I think I emailed the contact email address and asked if this would be possible. It went from there. I thought I'd be told (politely) to get lost. It was completely the opposite. Wiltshire seem to have been one of the earliest police forces to go that way and they are working with a number of other police forces now. Brilliant evening for the explorers. The inspector who came was fantastic. He gave them the same presentation he gives police cadets. Showed them plenty of real footage of various situations (inc. helping the fire service out). He gave us the costs for using a police helicopter vs. UAV. It's staggering and you can see why they will become commonplace. We also had a talk with a local farm (Marshfield Farm outside Bath i.e. Marshfield Ice Cream for those who know!) last spring about their use of UAV in farming. We knew about GPS-driven tractors, etc. but their use of UAV was myth-shattering. Clever use of technology to solve real world problems. Well worth it if could can make it happen.

Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ Did I say thank you? Just in case, it's worth saying it again: THANK YOU. :-) By proxy you've made 25-odd teenagers discover things they didn't think they could do and really enjoy it. One's now started an aerospace engineering degree in great part because of that experience. I should know, he used to live in this house (and still does when he wants a proper dinner or his washing needs doing...)!