I am looking into a Synology NAS (possibly the DS218+)

G+_Kevin Gonzalez

I am looking into a Synology NAS (possibly the DS218+). Can it use powerline Ethernet for connection? My router and switch are not in a location that I can add a large device so trying to figure out if could even work. Alternatively, can I connect to a secondary Eero router that is wireless? My use will be standard NAS functions and media server. Thank for the help.

For powerline to work(in my experience) the connecting powerline units must be on the same breaker circuit from the breaker box of the building you plan on using them in.

So test your outlets to see if they are connected.(dollar store night lights help, plug a bunch in... Flip the breaker, see what don't lightup)

Do you own your own home? You might be surprised how easy it is to run cat 5. A lot of times you can use an unused coax or phone line to pull your network cable. I ran outdoor cable along the trim on the outside, between the attic and crawlspace to link my two floors. Then I just installed a switch up there and dropped a line where I needed it.

Jason Brown Great suggestions. I had a powerline kit in early days of powerline and on two plugs 10 ft from each other on same circuit it got all the way up to 14, that's 14 KILOBYTES -

Sure they're better now.

Monoprice and Amazon both now sell much thinner than we're used to Cat 6 cable. Easier to deal with. I believe in conduits for new construction, but in old buildings where a pull may not be so easy, do for latest, fastest, cable as "future-proofing."

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments. I ended up moving the modem and switch to another area so I could hard wire the nas. I also went with the 718+ but am having difficulty in moving my media content from my WD My cloud. Aside from relatively slow transfer speeds I cannot get the copy to complete. It errors out for various reasons from my Mac (connected via WiFi). Need to try from a wired machine but the 2 drives are hard wired to the switch. Open to other suggestions!

• 3 months later...