Do you have a network for your IoT devices?

G+_Jason Perry

I have a UVerse supplied modem/router which also provides wifi to a number of devices, both IoT and not. One wired connection from that router goes to an Ubiquity Edge router. On the LAN side of the Ubiquity I run hard-wired to my main computer (this one).

Anyone on the WAN side of the Ubiquity can see all the other devices, plus the name of the Ubiquity network, but they can't access the Ubiquity network.

I would tell you the name of the Ubiquity network, but then I'd have to .... well, you know.

I use SkyNet for any WiFi I setup for my friends, so that when I'm over to work on security cams, NVRs, laptops, etc. I don't have to look up the wifi creds. Bonus is that when they visit each others' homes they don't have to ask for the wifi. It's mutually beneficial for them. For IoT at my own home, I use a client-isolated guest net so anything on it can only reach the internet, not anything else on the guestnet or my private (+W)LAN. I tried the 3dumb, but that's two more devices to keep track of creds for...

If you're just looking for a random SSID to give your IoT net, any existing SSID from across town or close enough to what your ISP does for all their ignorant customers is good enough. Anything like WIN_#####, ATT#####, XfinityWifi, etc would look inconspicuous enough.

Jason Marsh Cox Cable spread open WiFi around Tulsa. It was possible for a couple of years to go nearly anywhere without losing connection to Linksys. Of course, once a gadget connected to any Linksys and "remember connection" wasn't disabled, it was like a WiFi mesh.

Kinda' too bad Cox started shipping its router modem combos with default security. Miss being able to walk miles with my phone with nearly seamless free WiFi.