Honestly, teaching abstract and virtual methods at this point in the show is as senseless as pres...

G+_Joe C. Hecht

Honestly, teaching abstract and virtual methods at this point in the show is as senseless as presenting beginning Perl and requiring a web server to follow the examples.

If you have a web server, you probably know the material. If you don't have a web server, the material presented is beyond the scope of the average viewer.

Casting bunnies into rabbits makes for as worthless of an example

as a "C101" object. Very little thought, effort, or logistics goes in to the material presented.

Teaching abstract and virtual methods before presenting constants, types, and structures just blows chunks.

The Perl episodes could have been fun. An example of sending an SMS message from your desktop would have captured the audience, and would have enticed listeners to jump in and get coding.

Instead, our poll shows they lost viewers. That fact is proven right here in this forum of "over a thousand" (1406 members) that perhaps gets a handful of postings each week, mostly from the experts that have been here all along. This place should be overrun with posts.

With an investment of over 30 episodes, they have taught practically nothing, and what sheep the good Padre Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ 

has managed to capture seem to quickly go astray.

And I say to Lee Crocker and Joe Maruschek  I think the investment in time here is quickly heading to "1929". Our efforts and expertise might be better applied elsewhere.

Abstract and virtual methods at this point???

You gotta be kidding me!!!

TJoe

Code4Sale, LLC

I don't know Joe, maybe they are planning on working on the broad concepts of classes and THEN getting into their inner workings. Broad brush strokes - start big and work into the smaller pieces (that doesn't mean they are any less important) I see your point, but I could also see how this might work out. We will find out in the coming episodes.

I'll admit it was a bummer not being able to get the Windows mamp server up and running. Maybe its me, maybe its just the beta version.

But it at some point when i get time i'll try and figure it out using the rasperry pi. I don't know which webserver package would be best yet.

I'm enjoying the series. Padre and Snubs keep up the good work.

I think the approach of first showing the syntax and then trying to explain how abstract (and parent) classes are used doesn't work very well. A better way would be to write a program that initially uses separate classes and then show how using base classes that contains common elements cleans up the code and makes it more elegant.