Hey everyone

G+_Jake Russo

Hey everyone,

I've taken an interest in Arduino projects, and I have something that should be fairly simple. I'd like to use an Arduino to make a clock that syncs with time servers, can have different timers/countdowns start at different times, when I cue it, and adjust it on the fly if needed. I'd like it to be able to output to a small assortment of Seven-segment displays in a small case I can put on my desk, and a larger one I can put on the wall. Hopefully easily expandable.

Any suggestions?

You might be able to connect to a time server but you will have to include some type of WiFi or wired connection to your Arduino. I would suggest a Real Time Clock that you set once and forget it (until several years from now the battery dies).

These can be had for a couple of dollars. Keeps the whole project together. Simplifies everything because of not having to connect to a time server and figure out connectivity. Here is a quick ebay search. You can get them cheaper from Banggood and the like: ebay.com - RTC Module | eBay

As David Peach said NTP on an Arduino means adding networking hardware/software.

If I was doing this I'd ditch the Arduino and use a $10 RasPI ZeroW with Raspbian-Lite instead. That covers all the NTP and networking requirements with near zero effort, it's the default setup.

Interfacing various displays is fairly easy and has a similar cost/effort on either platform.

For a beginner, I would look at the Arduino kits available on Amazon - they include all the parts you need, except for networking. When you get the rest of the project going, look to the Wemos D1 Mini (around $12 for 2) which is basically an Arduino with WiFi built in and additional memory to play with.

Also, look at the thingiverse.com - Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects site - they have a number of Arduino-based projects you can build, even if you don't have access to a 3D printer to build the case for it.