So a friend of mine is having problems with WiFi dropouts

G+_Tony Swisz

So a friend of mine is having problems with WiFi dropouts. I had her install WiFi Analyzer on her phone and scan the 2.4GHz band to see how bad the interference is. Her graph was completely blank. Her computer can see and attempt to connect to the 2.4GHz SSID, but with WiFi Analyzer showing nothing, I started to think the 2.4GHz band was being blocked by something. To test my hypothesis, I opened it up on my phone and turned on the microwave. While holding my phone close to it, I watched as the graph drop to be completely blank.

My question to this community, does anyone know an easy way to see if someone is potentially running a WiFi Blocker, as they are illegal?

My friend isn't too technical, and attempting to diagnose things over the phone and across the state is always difficult.

I would have her go to Starbucks, or some other known area, and see if her phone reads at the other locations, to make sure it is installed and working on her phone. If that works, have her approach her home, and see if she can determine the drop-out area.

Part of using the unlicensed radio band is that you accept interference from other devices, so there is no guarantee that it will work.

Because of the popularity of the app, there are a few apps in the play store with that name. The one you have installed may not be the same as what she has installed. The one I've used and recommend is made by farproc, but I haven't tried any others to judge whether this is the best.

She should probably also make sure wifi is on - or potentially location services depending on Android version and the app.

Then as Rud Dog recommended, make sure if she has a 2.4 Ghz network she's scanning for 2.4 or 5 Ghz if a 5 Ghz network.

A 2.4Ghz jammer is possible, but unlikely. Most people wouldn't risk a fine just for a prank and I assume neighbors would be having similar issues. Bluetooth wouldn't work, some wireless fans and AC units wouldn't work.

If you're looking for a DIY project to analyze the 2.4 Ghz spectrum, I just remembered I've seen DIY builds to do just this. The NRF24L01 radio combined with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi can be used as a spectrum analyzer. Haven't tried it myself but looks like a fun project!

Here's an example, but there are others.

Dose she live in an apartment or house?

A microwave with no shielding as a wifi blocker? A microwave produces noise and only noise at ~500-1200 watts in the 2.4 ghz range, depending on the power output.

So a receiver in the vicinity of an unshielded microwave would still see the signal of a router but with a higher signal to noise ratio. In theory once the signal part of the ratio is lower than the noise the devise would louse the signal.

I would try out a google mesh wifi or similar setup. The unshielded microwave would not have the affect your are describing unless it was right ontop of the house or in the house. As for a professional system like the CREW that can work for miles. There is no real way to work around it.

If she thinks she is being targeted the non emergency number to the police can provide her with a way to document it and get some local help.

But try the mesh router first.

If her phone isn't showing anything in 2.4GHz, then what about 5GHz? One can disable 2.4GHz on Android, or perhaps the wifi radio is dying in her phone, or in her router.

One thing is for sure, you should never troubleshoot based on results from somebody else's tools. Her phone is suspect, as it isn't working, so why use it to check wifi? Use a known good device.

Consumers, operators, crewmen.... they all have the same problem; they know nothing except "it's broke", and "I didn't do anything."