? I 've got a computer to which I would like to make it run Linux on a new HD; at the same time ...

G+_Giligain I.

? I've got a computer to which I would like to make it run Linux on a new HD; at the same time upgrade the memory some. I've never done this conversion before, so I anticipate usual problems, like working on existing household plumbing pipes. So, I'm seeking some useful guidance to foresee problems before I order the extra hardware, or needed adapters for SSD conversion.

? this is the computer: never opened or started up yet

Dell Inspiron 20 3059 (specs)

https://www.kahlon.com/rm688871_Dell_Inspiron_20_(3059).html

https://m.ncix.com/products/specifications/139435

Planned Purchase

ORICO SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5'' & 3.5'' HDD, SSD [support 8TB]-Black (6619US3)

$20

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA1DS3N87773

Memory

I'm not sure how the (2) slots are used for memory or adding memory. I'm assuming 2gb cards in each slot = 4gb standard default given memory. If this is so then the upgrade memory to 8gb would require (2) 4gb cards. Or can you mix match sizes? If only (1) 4gb card is currently in the 'puter, then can I just get a 2nd 4gb card to add in other slot? Maybe these slots are empty to begin with.

Hard Drive

I'm thinking of using SSD HD 500gb size for installing Linux. Not sure if one is obviously better choice than the other. Any feedback on making the conversion? If this isn't easy then installing a new SATA HD 1tb size will be my 2nd route to go with.

The Plan

Take the existing Wndows 10 HD out of the 'puter and replace with the new HD which will be used for Linux. The Wibdows 10 HD can then be used with the Planned Purchase: external HD thru USB docking station.

Adding memory is just a bonus for already being inside the 'puter, and not required if it's not too costly.

? I've spent $400 for the computer and would like to keep the upgrade as close as possible to half purchase price, $200. Any more spent needs to be justified and explained.

• also, would it be better to do the Linux install into the hard drive before I make the HD swap? I prefer to have the internal HD run Linux and keep the Windows 10 OS on the external docking station. I suppose it's possible to copy the HD into the new external HD and then reformat and install Linux into the existing internal HD, but then that would rule out the memory upgrade since disassembly is no longer required.

? the pictures:

Photo [1-3]:

SSD HD ...the Crucial? my default choice, but don't know why.

Photo [4-6]:

Memory sticks ...I think any of these will "work" but unsure about best way to get 8gb. Or about their differences in layman's terms.

? P.S. This isn't a gaming 'puter by any means, just gonna be ordinary web pages, email, picture viewing use only.

• thanks for any usual decisive help to get this project started. I have 30 days to complete this..if not sooner.

4706f9f8-85c9-475b-a0cb-594b39cd5cd8.png67856e75-3b04-405a-9f37-bcfad4e40601.pnge4cc760b-7244-4dc3-befa-7a9c77963ef6.png71ca5256-916c-42e9-a18c-705d1bf640be.pngb61b0ecf-c317-4b1f-95c7-0813b87cbda5.png321fa1a9-2422-4b26-acc3-29f63efeb5a8.png

kurterst

Thanks, I forgot to post the manual link; I looked thru it to get an idea of what's going on.

I was under the impression that having OS on separate discs would be the "ultimate" way to go, thus buying the external setup. It just seems safer mentally having the Win10 OS on a non powered HD unless needed. (Yeah, over paranoid way; but then you think about the ppl saying tape over camera wasn't necessary until you read about it happening years later).

So there is a possibility that only one slot is used...maybe just calling DELL center can answer me before powering it up.

Hi,

You cannot overwrite Win10 from Linux or vice versa. Each OS will only know about the storage assigned to it. Not the entire hard drive.

Plus you set the boot order in the BIOS. I am not even sure if you can run Win 10 from an external drive. Especially when there is an internal disk on the system.

Like any other OS, backup your data to be safe.

This idea isn't new to me and isn't new. So "not new" I can't give credit to where I learned it.

Remove and set aside the HD with Windows before ever powering up system. As a result you have a brand new unused Windows license you can gift / sell with the 'puter.

Yes, you can dual boot Win & Lin and in my brief experience the way to do that is let your Linux installer do ALL the work. Brief because I said Sayonara to Windows.

On the other hand, if you set aside the HD with Windows and never power it up, you can take your system straight to Linux and skip some headaches, a big one Windows itself.

I came from Macs, trying VMs with Parallels and later bought an Asus Zenbook UX305 that came with ugh Win 8.1 on its SSD. Found a little bit of heaven, and much less hassle, by giving it all to Mint.

So I recommend forgetting Win. Going all in on Linux makes that easier: you won't fall off the wagon because you know how to do something in Win you haven't yet mastered in Lin.

And you can always take the Win HD off the shelf if that doesn't work out.

I have a Crucial SSD. No complaints. Have Samsungs and others. Recently the price point on Amazon has led me to Western Digital Blue. Have the most no complaint experience with Samsung.

The page you link says you need to add RAM in matched pairs. Didn't check max capacity, but go for 16GB 2x8 if you can afford it.

Here's a link to the service manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-20-3059-aio/inspiron-20-3059-aio/before-working-inside-your-computer

It gives easy and clear explanations on how to do what you want to do.

The hard drive should be easy, just be careful of the "touch screen board cable" that it warns you to be careful of.

Before you buy memory you should take the computer apart and see what slots are being used. You can't call anyone on this, because different production runs might use different methods. If you have 4 GB now, you have either two 2 GB modules installed, or one 4 GB one. If you have two 2 GB modules already, discard them responsibly and replace both with 4 GB modules. If you have one 4 GB installed in the computer, then you only need to buy one more. Either way, you need to take it apart to find out what you need. It's easy.

There's some software that can tell which slots are "populated", but in this case, it's just as easy to open it up and look. Plus you need the practice.

As for the Linux, it will need about 13 GB for the install [ Correction: about 6 GB for the install ], plus maybe 5 GB for a swap drive.

We can't tell from here if your computer will boot from the external enclosure you want to buy, so you will have to try it. It's possible that you won't be able to boot Windows 10 from the external enclosure at all.

Just download whatever version of Linux that you want (Ubuntu, Mint or whatever) and create a bootable USB thumbdrive or DVD (there's lots of instructions how to do this - just Google for them)

PS. Linux will run fine on 4 GB (I run Mint on 2 GB)

As for dual-booting Linux and Windows, I have done that a few times and it can be very confusing to setup. Better to just install Linux to a separate drive.

Someone suggested putting the Windows 10 drive aside and never even booting it up, but Windows 10 has a new feature. Once you boot it and activate it for the first time, your activation is recorded at Microsoft and you can always just download a replacement copy of Windows 10 for that same computer for free. You would be wise to start it up and activate it, before you do anything else, even if you never plan to use Windows again.

if you set aside the HD with Windows and never power it up, you can take your system straight to Linux and skip some headaches, a big one Windows itself.

• that makes sense.

• so I see online I can run win10 on external drive, but with some setup..not just by swapping HD out.

• so can I install Linux on new SSD HD by putting the drive in the external adapter and then swap the drive inside?

• or maybe I can just put the installer on the SSD HD and install from there after swapping out Win10 drive?

The page you link says you need to add RAM in matched pairs. Didn't check max capacity, but go for 16GB 2x8 if you can afford it. [it's 16gb]

• I read also about the matched pairs and wondered if that means both slots are already used to make the 4gb. So new pricing is not based on pairs...that makes the memory upgrade more expensive than liked. #ugh

kurterst Respectfully, you are incorrect about Linux and Windows not being able to overwrite the other, and not being able to see each other. Linux will see Windows just fine, and you can easily delete files from it, or the entire partition if you like. Windows will not be able to read the Linux partition, but will see it is there, and Windows Disk Management (among many other software) will be able to delete or reformat it.

Perhaps you are thinking of VM's ? in which case what you say might be true.

You are correct about the possibility that the computer won't boot from the external enclosure. Depends on the BIOS and the version of the BIOS. He would just have to try it.

I dual-booted many moons ago. Grub boot loader could launch the Windows boot loader but not vice versa. I read that it was possible, but not worth the hassle.

Your approach might be a lot easier. Every computer I've worked on has had an option to boot to USB. Whether Windows would boot easily from USB I don't know, but can't hurt to try. I'd personally disconnect the Windows drive before installing Linux.

Then there's the issue of switching between the two. Windows is probably installed with UEFI Secure Boot enabled and your flavor of Linux may or may not support Secure Boot. If your machine is set to legacy mode already, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mix-matching RAM has never been a problem on the machines I've worked on - desktops or laptops. Maybe yours is special? If your trying to save money, buy a single 4 GB stick and see if that lets you upgrade to 6. If not, buy another and go to 8. Linux on an SSD should run great with even 4 GB. Even just installing the SSD will be a bigger improvement than doubling your RAM.

I like Samsung EVO drives and have recommended them. I've also used a lower-end Kingston and had pleasant results. I just bought 2 SanDisk SSDs (120 GB) and am eager to try them out. You'd probably be fine with whatever you pick - especially if you keep good backups of important stuff.

Ben Reese

Then there's the issue of switching between the two. Windows is probably installed with UEFI Secure Boot enabled and your flavor of Linux may or may not support Secure Boot. If your machine is set to legacy mode already, you shouldn't have a problem.

• yes, good point. Not sure about getting to BIOS without HD installed. I understand the drive must format NTSF for Win10 install, and then set to legacy for Linux install to work. I just thought the settings went with the HD / partition.

• I wondered about getting to 6gb trying your method, but thought I read only 4, 8, and 16gb were the acceptable memory totals.

< edit > I just took a look at the service manual again...and spotted the 2nd mem slot to be on the back of the board. And from the pg 13-14 it shows the "front" slot being used, but not the back. They couldn't just make it easy for me.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-20-3059-aio_service-manual_en-us.pdf

I'd personally disconnect the Windows drive before installing Linux.

• that was my goal to swap drives out w/ Linux already installed on SSD HD using my other laptop and the USB adapter I plan to purchase.

Giligain I. Setting aside and keeping both your OEM RAM and HDD could facilitate a warranty claim, for what good that's worth.

RAM is sadly expensive. I recently bought a Gemini Lake NUC. It is running off some of the cheap SATA 120GB SSDs Amazon has recently sold for as little as $27, Kingston A400 being the probably best known brand, but I've several - PNY, AData, Silicon Power. With a SATA extender cable outside the case it is a simple matter to swap boot drives and test Linux distros. Useful before potentially borking "production machines" with new and shiny but not ready for prime time.

Specs say the NUC maxes out at 8GB. Others reported it handles 16. The 16 cost about as much as the NUC and multiples of the current prices of 120GB SSDs.

I just accept the OEM instruction to use matched pairs. It's for speed of access and started appearing so long ago I no longer remember the technical "why" it is better. Was easier to accept on machines that had, e. g., 2x2GB and 2 vacant slots. And RAM used to get cheaper over time -

0) Reconsider your plan. I'd rather have a two-bay hot-swap cage in my system than a toaster sitting beside/atop it. I have a cheap one (I think from StarTech) that has power buttons to turn the drives on and off as needed. Good for looking into the old drive to recover cookie recipes.

1)Pre-heat oven.

2) Throw in a batch of cookies. Download and run Crucial memory's CrucialScan.exe from crucial.com - Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades to determine installed memory type and max memory per slot, as well as SATA info.The tool will give suggestions for Crucial-branded parts. They may or may not be the best deal going, but the real value is the specs/info you get. Order replacements/upgrades based on the info given.

1.5) Oh noess!!! Did you forget to shut off the oven? Where'd the cookies go?...

2) Wait around in your pajamas for the UPS/FedEx/postal carrier to deliver your new parts. Open up the case and clean up a bit. Take out the Win10 drive and save it for when IF you need it.

3) When your gear arrives, thank the delivery person and offer a cookie for them to enjoy after work. Close door, have a cookie yourself, and set aside parts for when you're clear-headed.

4) Download a Linux Mint iso, burn to usb with Rufus or other free image writing software. Install the ssd and boot from the usb drive you just created with Rufus.

5) Enjoy learning your way around your new *nix system.

6) Remember your cannabis cookie recipe is still on the Win10 HDD. Pop it into the cage, power it on, recover your recipes, music, videos, then toss the drive in a drawer. It's still there next week when you remember your big paper was on the drive. Forget about it and take drive to gun range for target practice. Shoot holes in drive and, realizing you never got your master's work off the drive, choose a new career path in baked goods.

Rufus >>> https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Cookie recipe >> http://www.originalweedrecipes.com/cannabis-cookie-recipe/

John Sullivan Correct. My inexpensive little NUC takes DDR4 2400 that were a lot more costly. Wal-Mart shows the i3 priced at $546, but out of stock. A 2014 intro? Crucial shows 8GB sticks at about $67 ea. Guess I'd try to get by with OEM 4GB and see how Linux runs before spending more.

At equivalent price point the current model # is 3275 with AMD A6 APU. Does have USB 3.1 Gen 1, which would facilitate USB external boot. Pretty sure his 3059 has only USB 2 that would make for a much less happy external boot.

Jason Marsh His original message said "this is the computer: never opened or started up yet

• Dell Inspiron 20 3059 (specs)" so he doesn't need to worry about any cookie recipes or big papers left on the drive.

Also, it looks like your Step 4 could use some further explanation. As he doesn't want to startup this computer with Windows 10 (for whatever reason), he will need to use another computer to download the Linux file ( aka ".iso"). Then he will also need to use that other computer to use Rufus to burn the iso to the USB thumbdrive, making it a bootable drive in the process.

He should then be able to install the new SSD into the computer, change the UEFI to allow legacy mode and also to turn off Secure Boot, and once that is done, should be able to boot the thumbdrive.

Once booted from the thumbdrive, he can take some time to explore Linux, or just go ahead and use it to install Linux onto the SSD.

Just a couple of points that you didn't quite mention.

John Sullivan

Right on!

And yes, this has (2) USB 3.0 on it. I almost bought one of those 1tb external backup drives to put Linux onto and just run from there; then I realized this is more portable than just a big clunky desktop. So if little use is needed for Win10, swap the drive out and upgrade some. I forgot I can just use a USB stick to do the install–I already have one made for LIVE running.

• I'm guessing no needed extra adapters for SSD HD to replace, just match size, 2.5".

• I think I'll call dell first to see if I can get a straight answer about this model for the memory card slots. The phone number on the box seems friendly to use...or is it?

• as far as the big clunky USB external SATA for both size drives: that so I can make use of older technology using these larger size drives, 3.5". I don't know if the setup is meant for temporary or permanent when plugging in a drive.

Giligain I. If you already have Linux on a USB stick that you use for LIVE running, then you do not need another. Just boot the USB stick and once Linux is running there should be an "Install" icon right there on the desktop.

And, no offense intended, but you seem to be taking the long way around to find out how much RAM you have already, and what your upgrade options are. If you had popped the back cover and protective shield off yesterday, you would already know the answers to your questions!

John Sullivan

My apologies for not opening it up already as I thought the solution may be possible to learn by reading the manual first and asking knowledge ppl before attempting a task I'm not necessary comfortable with performing.

• my goal was to learn about the MEM sticks and the SSD HD's out there and how they work.

• I have learned that using the USB stick to install will work just fine for me. Not sure how the HD will arrive as to whether formatting will be necessary, most likely, and how to go about it when using a non-setup computer. So I thought having the USB to SATA adapter would make this happen. Maybe there is other way, but I already plan to get the device.

Giligain I. I just used my new StarTech Drive Toaster / Duplicator to copy a Windows 7 / Ubuntu dual boot HDD to a new WD 500 GB "Blue" SSD. No issues, other than Windows said it had to install "drivers" for the SATA WD Blue. Bit late, as it had already booted, but then I was told I needed to restart.

Whatever format is on your new SSD when it arrives (if any?), a Drive Duplicator won't care. Or if you're installing a Linux onto the entire drive and setting aside Windows, Linux will format your drive ext4 for Linux. And give you the option (desirable if you're installing a recent distro 18.04 etc) to encrypt the whole SSD, which reports say is faster now than the older "just encrypt the user's Home folder."

Giligain I. formatting and partitioning the drive will all be a part of the Linux install. You remove the Windows 10 hard drive and install the new one. Then you boot the computer with the "Linux LIve" USB stick that you already have, and once Linux is running there should be an icon right there on the desktop to Install.

You might have some choices about partitioning the drive, but as you plan to use the whole thing for Linux, I believe there's a selection to just Linux go ahead and do it for you, you won't have to make decisions on how to split up the drive.

As for the memory boards, you can boot the computer with your Linux Live drive, then open Firefox and go to the Crucial website. They have an online scanner that can examine your motherboard and tell you what memory is on it now. Not sure it works with Linux but you can try.

John Sullivan

Ooo, can I do the USB boot after I take out the HD and just run the Linux Live and then scan? I just don't want that HD spinning any sooner than necessary. Err, better check if it works with Linux, like you said.

• I should be able to with F2 or higher number get into the bios and then I won't care that the HD is missing, no?

Great about the partitioning; I think I recall about that being managed automatically unless one wants to tweak it for personal sakes.

George Fromtulsa

Huh, this will be a first, to encrypt the whole drive. I'll give it a try then. Thanks.

George Fromtulsa

No, plan to only have Linux on the SSD HD, and keep the SATA on the USB docking station for when win10 is/if needed. Then would hafta do a bios interrupt to force USB bootup to have "dual boot".

• I should be able to keep the encrypted Linux drive inside and boot to USB without problem, no?

Giligain I. If you install the new, raw, SSD into the SATA port on your computer, and IF you successfully boot your computer to the USB Live Thumb Drive to "test" Linux, presuming the test works, you SHOULD be able to select install from the option on the desktop, then the Linux installer will "do its thing" and offer to install Linux on the entire SSD. Presuming the "normal" installers, you will be asked if you want to encrypt the entire drive. Mint 18.3 & 19 also allow you to choose to encrypt USER, and you MIGHT want to do that if you will be allowing other users on your system and don't want them to see what's in your personal "Gilligain" home.

I think I read that the Ubuntu distros from Canonical no longer offer the option to encrypt the "User" section.

Now as to booting Windows from a USB drive, I've never done that. When I did use Windows I found just having multiple internal hard drives for data created issues as Windows expected to be using C:

Once knew a lot about Windows, not so much anymore. :-)

If you REALLY want to be sure you can boot Windows from the OEM HDD via USB, test that first ??? Without a Linux install inside to possibly confuse things.