TL;DR version: I 've got a general frameworks question As a new web developer, which framework s...

G+_Chris McGee (Sturm)

Screen252BShot252B2015-06-01252Bat252B4.

TL;DR version: I've got a general frameworks question—As a new web developer, which framework should I port my Java code to?

Long version:

I have a Java Swing application that I developed last year with some help from a Java expert. It's my first real program, so I know it is filled with lots of object-oriented problems, such as redundancies, god objects, etc. I've got a screenshot of what it looks like currently. Well, I now find myself in the position of needing to port this over to the web.

I'm staring pretty hard at Vaadin currently, but after seeing your Ruby on Rails introduction, I'm thinking about that, now. And there's also Grails, AngularJS, etc. The important thing is that I need it to interact with our MS SQL Server 2012 and look at least somewhat like the screenshot. That means having the ability to do treetables with checkboxes that have three states, which seems to be the biggest stumbling block with this program. Finally, it would be nice to have a framework with an eye toward making this touch-capable in the near future.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all thoughts on this. Thanks!