Update Plex Synology setup

G+_Rud Dog

PlexGuide.png

Update Plex/Synology setup

Loaded Plex onto my desktop PC for the purpose of seeing what this was all about. The software loaded was Plex Meda Server.

A couple of days ago setup Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS918+ and proceded to load Plex found in the applications section of the NAS.

Explored the features on the DS918+ then returned to the PC opened the Plex Media Server software and purchased PlexPass and liked what I saw. The ability to scan through channels by time or Day, week etc, was great. So while on the PC scheduled some shows and waited.

Later the same day fired up my Roku to find the recorded shows were ready and waiting to be viewed.

While sitting at the Roku and exploring the settings I noticed there was no way to schedule recordings as I did on my desktop PC?

What this boils down to is this; why does this screenshot show up on my PC but not by Roku?

Disappointed when I read this on the forum for Plex. Can you imagine when my wife finds out! The screen shown above only is accessible from your PC and not on the Roku. Will have to see if this is true for other forms of hardware.

My TV guide interface only shows what is airing now. Is there a way to record future shows from the TV? Am I forced to go to the computer to schedule future recordings??

Thanks for the helpppp… Newbie!

Not at the moment, you can only watch live TV and recordings from the Roku, but you can’t schedule recordings (yet). For now, the easiest workaround is to schedule recordings via PlexWeb on your computer.

You can use Plex Web interface from your mobile devices, as well. Well, you can if you have good vision, anyways...

All you have to do is save a bookmark, to the home screen or as a favorite in your browser of choice. It'll only work from within the same subnet, but who really needs to worry about scheduling shows from anywhere at any time?

Oh, there's also the Plex Media Player app for your mobile devices, as well. Once signed in to your plex account on the app, I think you should be able to do the same.

I'm sure you've seen this page, but I'll post a link just in case...

https://support.plex.tv/articles/226463767-frequently-asked-questions-dvr-live-tv/

Jason Marsh you hit the nail right on the head. In order for the family to migrate from Tivo to Plex or HDHomerun, we need to be able to see the weekly scheduling screen and have the ability to select which shows to record. For my family to dismount their dinosaur and use anything but the Big screen tv, is just too much of a time shock.

We have trouble locating the remotes we use can you imagine trying to locate another device to see whats coming up and also to be able to record a show. My family would vote me out of the house.

Appreciate the help, unfortunately, I am the only techie in the house.

Guess I will have to pay for the HDHomerun guide and see if it meets this criterion.

BTW I posted this in the Plex and Roku communities and nothing so far.

Well, if they don't have smartphones ...

Really, though, how often does one need to setup recordings? Four times a year to capture full seasons of tv, and only occasionally to capture something else? You can help them through the process the first couple of times; by then everyone should be proficient enough to do it on their own.

I get your frustration, though. It's been four years or so since I put mom and dad (74 and 84) on a Harmony remote. I still get the "I don't know what to do" call when the equipment and remote get out of sync.

For getting "undocumented media" from the interwebs, I handle that one myself since I've dealt first-hand with bad downloads from the file sharing services of yesteryear. Before anyone flames me for "stealing"; I only do this for movies/shows that the studio doesn't make available for easy use across all my devices. I've tried movies everywhere and others, but nothing really works well for me but downloaded content streamed directly from my Plex server. It's ridiculous that I have to "pirate" movies that I have on the shelf or have purchased through iTunes and others. I will continue to "pirate" until the studios/distributors get their heads out of you-know-where and do like music has done in providing non-DRM downloads.

Jason Marsh Last night sat down and handed my wife the remote for the Roku which she never uses more mildly put refuses to use.

Walked her through the steps to get to Plex and finally to the shows recorded the previous week. As I stood back and watched her attempt to navigate the shows I could see the frustration building. Keep in mind this person is well versed in the Tivo format.

She threw the remote on the bed and clearly stated NOPE!

This setup is not ready for prime time use. Sure I can use it but even I hear myself saying "why did they do it that way?" or, "thought I deleted that show".

Now will start researching HD Homerun's format. And as with Plex Pass, I will have to purchase HDHRs Guide and see if it is acceptable to the other half.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and treks through this mind field of a war known as the monopoly-based entertainment.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Perhaps it's just a lack of understanding of the menu/app system. You didn't mention if your family are smartphone users, or I didn't catch it. It's not much different than navigating apps on a phone or tablet.

My wife (not techy at all) picked up the Roku + Plex interfaces really quickly. Maybe she benefitted by watching when I was using it. I bet I could teach my mother how to use it, and she's 74.

Best of luck to you on your journey. I have no experience with Tivo, but have used DVR from the cable company (and gave it back in weeks because it wasn't useful to me). Now, those dang boxes from the cable co have some horrific interfaces. If your fam can operate that garbage, they should be able to operate anything.

Let's face it there is a quality design built into the Tivo it has to be setting it up and using it. Not so much for the combo Plex and its Pass guide service. The reason for this is everyone expects the controls to be accessible from the TV as so many other interfaces have shown in the past.

Last night I was watching NFL game and thought I had set it to record well it was not recording. So as a test set out to record it even though it had already started. Knowing I could not carry out this step on my TV I opened up the app on my android cell phone and gave up after not being able to record the NFL game on the fly.

This morning will be dedicated to figuring out why this occurred. After which I am off to purchase years subscription to Homerun guide service in an attempt to see if it is any more user-friendly.

In an effort to document the use of Plex, Pass and HD Homerun feel it is only fair to post the problems you might face if you are not a techie.

What this boils down to if the user cannot do all interaction from the TV then it is not ready for the broader consumer market and to be fair no one said it was but it is good to know. Only because during my research I could not find these facts during my primary search for stated hardware and software.

Believe it or Not.

After the Plex Pass, Guide proved to be a bit limited in displaying its weekly program guide I decided to give HDHomeRun a try.

Watched lots of videos read about the guide and its great weekly program guide so purchased a subscription.

Followed the instructions and when I opened the desktop software for the Extend it came up with stations and was great. The only problem I could not duplicate the weekly program guide seen on countless videos. Back to the research for finding out what I was doing incorrectly.

Took awhile finally found this buried in the comments and don't think I have seen it anywhere else:

HDHomeRun app (Win7/8.1) - does not find DVR

The HDHomeRun app for Windows 7/8.1 does not support the DVR.

On these platforms, use Kodi to access the DVR.

See my.hdhomerun.com - Kodi

Now I will have to see what this hoop does it could be a viable solution or a brand new rabbit hole.

Posted on their site:

Requirements

HDHomeRun DVR subscription

Compatible HDHomeRun device (CONNECT, CONNECT Duo, CONNECT Quatro, EXTEND, PRIME, EXPAND)

Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 PC (Windows 10 preferred. Windows 7 and 8.1 can only run the Record Engine)

Sufficient disk space to hold recordings. HD content typically runs around 6GB per hour.

PC must be on at all times in order to make recordings or access previously recorded content. Sleep mode should be disabled.

Nelson Jesudas Thank you for your response and I have my fingers crossed this is the case. Everything I have read online points to Plex promising this for a very long time and not telling the community if and when it will be added. IMHO this is the most crucial part of the video chain; having control of the Guide and recording capability on the actual tv you are currently viewing shows. Again thank you for your input.

PS how long have you been using Plex?