Got to get my questions in before G+ goes away

G+_Rud Dog

AFAIK, no. It seems doable (e.g. you can boost a coax signal) but radio repeaters are receiver-transmitters. You’re receiving multiple broadcasts and repeating all of them is a major task. There are wireless TV tuners though. The tuner-transmitter would be connected to the antenna and the receiver would be connected to the TV. Changing the channel would be done through the receiver, which sends a control signal to the tuner.

(Mho) the FCC would never allow such a device... Can you imagine a town covered in these? Signal problems would multiply like rabbits!

That being said, an OTA to home-network device through a wireless(Wi-Fi) bridge would create the function you want.

This would (I think) keep you from running afoul of any fcc rules about retransmission.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do but I use an HD Homerun to watch TV on my computer while working.

silicondust.com - HDHomeRun - Watch TV anywhere in your home There are Rasberry Pi implementations that would allow you to pick up the HD Homerun signal and send it HDMI to your TV. These devices allow you to to some time shifting of the program too. ie, bathroom break or knock at the door.

If you can get the coax into the HDHomerun you can then use a wifi bridge to get the traffic into your network.

I second Brent's recommendation. I haven't used one myself, but I belive they have apps for FireTV (Android) and/or Roku. HDHomeRun is what I've seen everyone recommend, so it must be one of the best.

If you're wanting to experiment, Amazon is coming out with their own tuner/DVR for OTA broadcasts. It still requires a FireTV to watch the content, but may be a good alternative to HDHomeRun.

Ben Reese, Brent Vrieze first off thank you for your input.

I have the complete system installed HDHome Extends, NAS server, Nvida Shield, Roku and two Tivos disconnected from Cable and now connected to OTA antenna. Won't go into the Tivos as that is a whole different experiment.

The only problem I see with OTA antenna is the cable running from the antenna to the inputs of the HDHomerun Extend's.

If there is some wireless device to get the signal from the antenna to the HDHomeRun inputs, that would be grand.

Probably end up running cable from where ever I permanently locate the OTA antenna to the room the Extends are currently located.

Black Merc sorry not ignoring you this back and forth is crazy.

I spend a lot of time googling and getting frustrated with the answers returned. Kind of a pet peeve with me.

The question was me reaching out to find out if such a device(s) exists.

What device(s) you say?

Think of it this way many years ago you needed an ethernet cable to connect your self to the Internet.

Then someone asked if it was possible to do the same thing without the ethernet cable and Wifi was born. Historically and crazy inaccurate but you get the idea.

So I asked the same question but instead of connecting a computer wanted to connect the antenna to TV via the, um, air.

UmAir was the original name to be given to Wifi but Rickbearcat held the patent.

Thank you for your time and input.

Akira Yamanita Thank you, Akira. Not sure how that would piece together but on my way to google; wireless HDMI.

Probably one final update after we pull the switch disconnecting half the Comcast feed(video). We have to keep the ISP portion as there is no other game in town. That should be coming up soon.

BTW for those going down this road, there is no app for the Roku to run HDHomeRun App. You are stuck with Plex and there is no app within the Roku version of Plex for using HDHomeRun.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Using both Plex and HDHome programs with OTA antenna.

The antenna in use for testing is a small wall square indoor antenna.

When it grabs a station it does it well.

As far as the stations I need it would be ABC, NBC, CBS, and some public access stations. Unfortunately of the three main local stations one out of the three fails. And no capture of all three was obtainable with any adjusting of the location of the indoor antenna.

Since indoor testing was failing it was time to mount an outdoor antenna. Checked the websites like fooltv.

Found some stations are in the south and some are in the north. Leading to the need for an Omni-directional antenna.

This is where the reading of reviews on Amazon turned into a nightmare. The pros and cons are all over the place. This fact, I believe, is based on where these folks lived and obstructions of the signals.

Maybe someone online is located in the area south of San Francisco by about 50 miles. The line of sight is pretty much clear with the exception of rather tall buildings. But I am sure the towers are higher than the building so maybe they won't be a problem. As far as the southern towers there are some smaller hills and again don't think they are higher than the towers, maybe.

Before plucking down 50-120 dollars decided to see if anyone has similar terrain and can offer some suggestions on which outdoor antenna to buy.

Other than that the system is up and running and I could not be happier.

My Comcast bill has gone from 177.00 dollars to 61.00 dollars.

Now all I have to do is find an outdoor omnidirectional antenna.

You mentioned stations in two directions... If the stations in the one relative direction are close enough to each other, is get a decent directional for that group of channels and same for the other direction. Once locked into that position your feeds will never falloff. And should the OTA receiver have two inputs, your set.