As mentioned and buried in another post my security camera server died

G+_Rud Dog

As mentioned and buried in another post my security camera server died.

Selecting a replacement requires min/max hardware specs and up until now have not been able to nail this down.

It finally dawned on me to look up the camera manufacturers spec for there stand-alone NVR box. (cost for this box is slightly less then 400.00 dollars)

Now I ask if anyone knows where in the spectrum of Processors the Intel J1800 falls. Hoping there is a chart showing where this processor is rated which will allow me to select a PC, laptop or mini-pc, fitting the cameras need for recording.

I don't really understand all the specs for processors so reaching out to the community to see if some help can be found in the selection process.

Hopefully something around 200.00 dollars can fit the need.

My research has taken me into the realm of mini pc's and after reading the reviews and FAQ's one thing is apparent. For some reason, if you want to run Ubuntu instead of Windows 10 you have to contact tech support to help with this install. Does anyone know why?

Here are a few examples of the ones I have been reviewing and reading up on.

docs.google.com - 2018_MINI_PC

I thought this was something I was feeling thought I would share:

Comment by John

I remember when you could tell how powerful a CPU was. 486DX at 25mhz, Pentium at 233mhz… they would toss in numbers like L2 and L3 cache. Socket type was also important because people used to upgrade. It was all pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

Nowadays, I can’t make any sense of what a processor will deliver without intensive research. I can’t extract any useful information from “Intel Celeron J4105 quad-core Gemini Lake processor” except for the word ‘Celeron’ which means (to me) low-end. Even marketing terms like i3, i5 and i7 have lost their meaning when an i5 can outperform an i7 (I’ve seen on some benchmarks) and when clock speeds no longer help a consumer decide.

Maybe the industry should move toward ‘Instructions per Second’ but they might lose the (self-perceived) marketing advantages.

Linux, BSD, and the likes just aren't prevalent in consumer devices, so the manufacturers aren't putting any time or effort into testing and certifying their hardware to be compatible with anything other than what they developed for/ship with.

In some cases it may be nearly impossible for a regular person to install another OS, but I imagine that in those cases it's the EFI/BIOS that causes the problem. They're mini pc kits or barebones kits, so it stands to reason that they're probably pretty bare-bones on configuration options within the EFI/BIOS, and perhaps booting to anything else is a crap shoot or difficult to get going. Googling for "install linux on" and the name of the device you're considering could reveal the experiences others have had with whichever device you're looking at.

I bought an ECS Liva MiniPic a few years ago, and it shipped with Windows 8. That wasn't going to do, so I put something else on it, then another OS, then another... While OSes other than W8 weren't supported, it wasn't impossible to get it to work. No calls to tech support required, just a little research for each roadblock I ran into. It finally found a forever home as my travelling (RV) Plex media server.

You can get a fair comparison of capabilities or performance over on cpuboss. I use it anytime I'm building new or upgrading existing PCs. If the processor in the device you're considering is at least as good as that found in a pre-built NVR, then you should have a good start at rolling your own NVR.