Tried to read the review for HDHomeRun hardware but most questions were about wifi, will it work ...

G+_Rud Dog

Tried to read the review for HDHomeRun hardware but most questions were about wifi, will it work on my tv etc.

There appears to be, and I no expert, boxes with 2 tuners and yet others with 4 tuners.

Some claim to be hardware tuners as for the others not sure but guessing they use software tuners. Not sure what this means and when these tuners come into play. There have been suggestions the hardware tuners are used to quickly ready the video for the type device requesting like a cell phone, tablet, etc. I don't know if the onboard tuner hardware devices do anything to the video when it comes to viewing on a Flat screen TV?

So the question looming in my mind is why buy the HDHR Extend with 2 tuners when I could have HDHR 4 OTA Tuners MPEG2. What does one have over the other excluding the number of tuners.

Should I order the HDHR Extend or the 4 OTA Tuners MPEG2?

Giligain I. Thank you. I think you might have something there. Does the Extend do something to the video transferred over the LAN making it more efficient where the others just send it without any conditioning? It would be nice to have more tuners but at what cost LAN'wise

It's the format the files are being stored in. MPEG2 is much less space then raw video. I actually just got a HomeRun HD. I use Plex to record and watch. It's actually not bad. To your point yes I would advise not using wifi if possible. To prevent restrictions or bottle necks. If you use a Roku or Apple TV just use Ethernet.

Note that recording is considered a use of a tuner as well as watching a show. So two tuners gets used immediately if you a watching live TV and a recording is happening. So far very impressed with the ability. Was able to show a coworker it working. Didn't skip a beat.