My "cut the cord " project is nearing completion

G+_Rud Dog

My "cut the cord" project is nearing completion. Since posting the request for comments on the available streaming boxes I have been searching for alternatives but nothing so far. So tomorrow I order the Nvidia Shield.

As far as the choice between plex and HDHR won't know till I get the Nivida shield.

Also not sure if the limit on HDHR tuners is fact or fiction still looking for the answer to that; which was 4 tuners.

Thank you all for your input on this one it has made the choices fun.

You should consider Emby in place of plex. Open source, ridiculously customizable also. My only gripe though is the android app can drain device battery, at least for me, and it tends to lose connection to chromecast, but it's integration with Kodi is unbeatable.

Not sure of your exact setup, but I thought I'd throw that in there.

Darryl Gibbs I loaded Emby and was pleasantly surprised. There is one setting for which I will need to search through the settings; that is thumbnails appearing during fast forward. Makes it so much easier to fast forward through commercials.

What I find interesting you can point Plex, Emby, and HDHR to the folders containing recording other hardware has recorded. Now I need to redo my folders and have all of these points to the same folder. Then once a software package is decided on I can eliminate the others. After all, I don't want to pay for Program guide for all three.

The Nvidia shield is due tomorrow but I still need to add another HDHR Extender only because 2 tuners is not going to be enough. Lastly, I am still researching the max number of turners fact or fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

K Branch jr Lets start with the cost of cable. My bill has gone from 100.00/dollars a month to 177.00/month and no sign of stopping. Disconnecting Infinity service which I think is the video only and keeping the ISP it should drop to 60.00/month. The cost is was a little over 1000.00 dollars for hardware. The payback will start around 8 and half months. Oh, factor in whichever TV guide service you decided to use.

PS

I just added the second Extend (included in the calc above) and getting ready to roll it out for my wife.

Rud Dog I only received this notification now, apparently 2 weeks late.

Yeah emby is very impressive. It offers a lot more than Plex, but then again Plex is less complicated but solid. I've had issues streaming from Emby to my Chromecast whereby the connection breaks and I can't control the stream anymore. So I went back to PLex. However of I had a Shield (and I wish I did!!) I'd use Emby over Plex in a heartbeat.

That thumbnail searching is a real winner, I must say. I also like (and this is really not pivotal) but when you pause, or interact with the stream, the logo of the show you're watching comes up in the corner. To me it just looks crazy professional in that regard.

Darryl Gibbs Currently I am testing HDHR and Plex TV guide service. When setting up HDHR there was something I thought interesting when you prompted for PATH selection you are offered one for your PC and one for NAS. The Nas selection does not allow you to see the path HDHR will use. The PC selection allows you to see the path where your files will be stored. THought that was interesting.

As for Emby did some preliminary setups but fell back to Plex.

As I learn the different features of Plex and HDHR will then return to setting up Emby for comparison.

Testing with my wife at the controls should be fun will let you know when she sits down tonight to watch shows.....SURPRISE!

Jason Perry From the research conducted it appeared most folks are going with one central server with Plex or HDHR software guide and DVR setup. For box located at each TV right now, it stands as Nvidia Shield by the living room screen and Roku 3 bedroom screen. I use the Roku only because it was purchased long before the cutting of the cord was started. As for my son's room still looking for the final hardware for his room and screen. If I can't find another device other then the shield then it will be the shield.

I am curious as to what you are suggesting in your comments with the HDMI switcher?

PS

Also as an added note during my use and setup of the system mentioned herein, there is one odd problem I experienced last night.

Plex was having a hard time connecting to live tv while the HDHR was working but with some odd start stop video. This is the first time I have seen this and will report back if I find out what is causing this or if it just disappears. At first, I thought it was due to a ton of pictures I dumped on the Synology causing it to start the sorting process. But after viewing the software on the Synology; CPU was not overtaxed as per Synology software? Not sure if more ram(4GBs now) would help. I don't see the SSD cache helping in this situation if it did I would add the two cards.

There are cheaper ones but I am interested in the rs232 support. I have run into lots of AV equipment with control through rs232. Now comes the fun part of how do you control all of this fun stuff with rs232.

IOGEAR 4K UHD 4-Port HDMI Switch with RS-232 Support (GHSW8241) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TCU1TZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FFpTBbBMD6AZQ

amazon.ca - IOGEAR 4K UHD 4-Port HDMI Switch with RS-232 Support (GHSW8241): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

I don't want any boxes at my TV, I was mentioning the HDMI extender before. My problem is I want multiple sources but don't want to run multiple extenders up to a TV. If I use one of these switches for each location this allows flexibility for what the tv is able to display. Say the feed from an NVR, my Roku, Chromecast, etc. I did find one that does many to many but I am a control freak and want the ability to say this device can only be viewed on this TV.