Cutting the cord

G+_Rud Dog

Cutting the cord.

OK picked up a small inexpensive antenna along with HD HomeRun Extend.

Tested with the antenna hanging in a window and satisfied with stations received.

Moving on to DVR Hardware.

After researching found the Synology DS918+ and it was suggested as an excellent choice for a home video server.

Now the DS918+ has Hardware Video Transcoding capability as does the HD Homerun Extend.

If hardware video transcoding is only used during playback why would I need this feature on both DS918+ and the HD Home Extend?

Especially since all playback recording will be played back from Plex server?

On the website for compatibility the chart states this in one row:

Plex Pass and 64-bit Version required.

Required for Hardware Accelerated transcoding.

Does this mean the NAS must have Plex software running at 64-bit?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

I did basically the same thing a few months ago, using my Synology and an HD Homerun. I started with Plex, but ended up using the HDHomerun app on my devices instead, and just using the Synology as the network drive the HDHomerun records to.

I ended up going this route because the guide data was better on the HdHomerun app, and it supported closed captioning which was hit and miss on the plex app. Plus, I don't have to pay for plex.

If you are already a plex user, using it would probably make the most sense

Kenneth Branch jr Will do. As of today's bill viewing the project has received fuel to move forward.

The decision has been to cut the video portion of the cable and keep the ISP side of the service. Unless Comcast decided to pad the bill in their favor after we do.

Also HDHR is updating the firmware to allow channels to be added similar to the channels on cable but at a cost closer to 35 dollars. They do not include premium channels for that cost. Will do the math and see if we need the additional channels. That is still being researched.

With the introduction of the HDHR's monthly subscription to HDHomeRun Premium TV, there is no mention on the surface if the cost is the 34.99 for Premium TV and additional charge for the TV Guide. If they are adding the cost together and charging you 34.99 then it might be worth reviewing. Otherwise, it would be to very close to the Comcast rates for current cable channels. Here is the link in case you would like to see what they are offering.

monthly subscription to HDHomeRun Premium TV.monthly subscription to HDHomeRun Premium TV.

I signed up to try it, and they did charge me $35 per month, I addition to my current yearly subscription.

It is nice that it integrates into the same gui as my OTA channels, but I am thinking the price is a bit much for what you get.

For $5 more each month you could do youtube tv and record to their cloud dvr, and have access everywhere.

With hdhomerun premium, I provide the storage, and I can only watch it at my house where the device is located. I would have liked to seen hdhomerun premium closer to $20/month because of its limitations.

Jared Twomey Time will tell on my setup. ONce I get to play with it awhile maybe I can make some intelligent decisions. The on thing I like about HDHR Premium Service is there is no contract record till you can record no more discontinue PS and watch till you run out then up again. Might be more work than it's worth but as mentioned time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Final stages of the cutting of the cord. For now, will use the Roku for my video viewing. Guessing the more I use it the more familiar I will become with it.

On the other hand have been looking at the Android approach to interfacing with the NAS for my wife's usage. So far have found the following that can use HDHomerun guide service.

Fire TV

Fire TV Cube

Fire TV Stick

Nvidia Shield with remote or remote and gamepad.

Nvidia Shield Pro 500 GB HD.

Would like suggestions; what other hardware is available for use with HDHomerun software?

K Branch jr Thank you. All the hardware is in place with the exception of the living room hardware.

The Roku, can NOT see the Plex TV Guide or record. In my case recording must be carried out on my PC. The other restriction using Plex TV Guide if you search for a program to record it you will only find it if it is within the 2-week span from your current date. For example; wanted to program Survivor show which starts 09/26/2018. Since it is was further out then the Plex TV Guide, lists, it would not allow finding the show nor recording it. Well till it can be found within the 2-week window. Will update for those following along.

Leaves me wondering why Roku can not have the option to view TV Guide or record from that device? Also, there is no app for HDHome at all or least I could not find it.

At this point have not made up my mind which to go with the HDHomerun TV Guide or the Plex TV Guide. Only because I have not yet tested the guide on the HDHomeRun. Well not tested extensively on hardware to be used. The Guide for HDHomeRun appears to he functional only on Android devices as far as I can find.

Since I am testing the HDHome Extend ( 2-tuners) will need an upgrade. While recording two FootBall games on Sunday which meant all the tuners were taken up nobody could watch live TV. What this means and found it is supported; additional HDHomeRun Extend is needed this adds 2 more tuners. I think and still researching 4-tuners it the max. Don't know why.

I am getting ready to purchase my box for other TV in the household but not sure which one to get. Sometimes people have found something other then the vast majority are using and usually find out after making the purchase. This is my reason for asking and waiting for a possible alternative.

You have to ask yourself in this final decision what does the Sheild do that the other boxes do not? And is there an alternative to the Shield if it is the only game in town?