Just realized the first step in cutting the cord is to get an antenna and test the signals in my ...

G+_Rud Dog

Just realized the first step in cutting the cord is to get an antenna and test the signals in my area. Was a bit focused on the other hardware and forgot this important step.

So in the interest of starting off right wanted to ask the community for their suggestions for the best outdoor HD antenna with the max range and mounting hardware.

We live about 45 to 80 miles from the three big stations CBS, NBC, etc. Your input will help me make that first step in this projects progress.

Last question how many of you have grounded your antenna.

I don't have an outdoor antenna myself. I've been up the aerial antenna my grandparents had. If I remember the setup correctly, the tower itself was grounded, along with a 4-5' piece on top of the actual antenna, but the tv antenna itself was not grounded. I'd imagine any good mount would have the same sort of setup.

The grounding might depend on where the antenna is going to be mounted as well. If it's not the highest point around the house, then grounding probably isn't as important, but then it probably won't perform as well as it should either.

If the actual antenna is grounded, that defeats the purpose of it in the first place. All your signal are the earth.

2nd for antennaweb.org. It will tell you the type of antenna that is best for you, and what directions and distances you are dealing with. I’m my case, all the stations are in a similar direction and 20ish miles away. I got this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUXVKK0/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_.eFzBbFC369F4

I also got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect https://www.silicondust.com and connected it to power, Ethernet and coax from the antenna.

I use it on AppleTV 4K with the Channels app and on my phones/iPads/amazon fire stick with the free HDHomeRun app, and on OS X and Linux with VLC.

I also have a Plex server that uses it to DVR the live OTA signals, and I’m able to play recorded content on all of my devices. I can even watch recorded content and live tv on my phone or iPad while on the road via the Plex app. Initial cash outlay for server/HDHomeRun/Antenna/Apps about $500. I already had all the other stuff. I built the server myself it is a dual Xeon with a passmark score of about 13,000 running a stripped down version of Ubuntu.

This technological terror I’ve constructed passed the wife test. She loves it and I live the $0 per month bill we pay for TV.

Michael Hagberg Yep, this is a good start! I'm on top of a hill and I was to use an Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF ($20 in 2011) and used a ViewTV WM-023A Mount Pole(also $20) in my attic to get more channels than I'll ever watch. I've been using this setup un-amplified on my Tablo for a few years now.

Michael Larson Oh yeah I forgot to mention I use the HomeRun (dual tuner). I have it working with SnapStream (no longer available) the best DVR software I've seen. Free Channel Guide and show squeeze are the best features. Not knowing how long the software and service would be available I have setup a MythTV DVR that I got to work with the HomeRun, but didn't pay for the guide.

Descriptions of antennas are all over the board:

VHF/UHF (hmm do I need both?)

HD/4K (Is this if I upgrade my set)

Multi-directional as opposed to Uni-directional

Amplified?

My eyes are dried up and my head is about to explode. Need to decide on an antenna.

Thanks all keep the information coming, please.

Oh and the web site mentioned states the furthest station is 60 miles.

Rud Dog It should give a color code associated with an antenna type for each of your available stations. I don't recommend buying anything off the site itself, it seems that amazon has much better deals. IIRC I paid $25 for my antenna with mounting pole on prime day. You should be able to find a similar deal, I'm sure. Don't pay a premium for an antenna, though. Just look for good reviews of the type of antenna recommended.

Travis Hershberger Respectfully, you are incorrect about grounding. I have a standard tv antenna clamped to a 20' pole steel pole which sits on the ground, and it works just fine.

The elements of the antenna are insulated from the main support arm and mounting clamp and are not grounded, as you are saying.

One thing to check against the antennaweb.org - AntennaWeb.org - Antenna Signal Prediction is the VHF vs UHF signals. The DB-4/DB-8 are great for UHF, but not so good for VHF. I ran across a VHF add-on, and if you have several stations that use RF 13 and below, it's a great investment. 4 of mine fall in that category, and the VHF add-on has made a significant difference. Most of my transmitters are 40 miles, mostly, but not completely, line of sight (not counting trees and other condos).

As far as grounding, the pole should extend above the antenna, and should be grounded. That will go a long way to saving your equipment and home in the event of a lightning strike. Santa Clara county isn't a hotbed of lightning storms, but they do happen occasionally. I"m less worried about it now that the neighbors redwoods are towering 80 feet or so, but it's still grounded.

I'm a little OCD on viewing, so for recording and watching later I use EyeTV Hybrids (I have 6 of them, between 3 mac minis) and record everything using what used to be ElGato's EyeTV software. I then use a script to mark the commercials, and with a little fine tuning, strip them out saving them to my iTunes Library. It's almost unbearable now to watch live tv, with the commercials. I'm so bad, I even skip through recorded football games. I can actually watch a game in an hour!

I have a long run, and have a ChannelMaster pre-amp near the antenna, and a CM distribution amp where it comes into the house. Our builder, in his infinite wisdom decided to 'star' and daisy chain (depending on ...whim?) the cabling to the different rooms, but didn't really have any provision other than normal splitters. The amp combo dies the trick. It's about 40' from the antenna to the distribution amp, and another 40' to the farthest TV from there, through one splitter. Signal is around 70% strength in the intermediate tvs, but no lost frames or pixelation even at the far reaches.

Oh, and 4K OTA broadcast will be an ATSC3 standard, not quite done, and not supported in any current TVs. Choosing a TV is a whole 'nother topic, but you would be hard pressed to find one without 4k. Broadcast will either be 1080i or 720p, and almost all the TVs that have tuners will do a decent job of upscaling it on a 4K tv. I have the 55" LG OLED. Even the 640x480 stuff looks decent on it.

I would expect when 4K broadcast starts, there will be tuner boxes to use to receive it in addition to being included in new TVs. I wouldn't expect that for a couple of years, tho.

Bob Buchanan will definitely review your setup once I have picked the antenna. The UHF/VHF is still something I don't understand as it applies to a selection of the antenna. I am guessing a safe pick would be one that advertises this feature in their advertisement?

I too have become a fan of commercial skipping having owned Tivos since they were first introduced. Never go back is really the cry or should it be skip forward.

The amplification of the OTA signal is an ongoing discussion in the research I have done and can't seem to find an agreement from this search.

Bob Buchanan do you mind me asking what zip code you live in; it would help, imagine my neighbor having the perfect setup and I was spending all this time looking for the perfect setup. 1 in a million kind of thing but don't know till you ask. Thank you.

My brother has wind problems with a more directional antenna (yagi style) like this. https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-2020.htm

I have a flat antenna and have never had an issue. My model is no longer sold but it is like this one. channelmaster.com - EXTREMEtenna 80

It has a wider coverage area which works for me. I don't need a rotor because I am behind a hill and all the channels I can get are in range of pickup with this antenna from the same direction. I can get reception on channels up to 60 miles.

You need to know if you have VHF and UHF in your area when selecting the antenna. And again terrain will loose you reception.

Channel Master has a pretty good antenna selection guide.