As you may or may not know; looking at cutting the cable and only using it for ISP service

G+_Rud Dog

As you may or may not know; looking at cutting the cable and only using it for ISP service.

At the same time, my Tivos are both having pixelation problems with no solution.

Researching boxes for replacing the Tivos but there is one problem concerning my audio system for the family viewing area. Would like to use hardware that does not use HDMI I/O.

As far as I know, all HDMI connections from Tivo or Blueray player had to pass through the HUB (WISA Controller). Reason for this the HUB picks off the audio as it passes from source to input on the TV. You can probably already guess where I am headed with this.

What happens if I need to source video and audio from the LAN via the ethernet connection to my TV? There is no HDMI cable from that type source.

Apparently, most newer TVs have something called Optical Audio output or HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel). Using these means you can output the audio directly from your TV to a compatible input of the same name. My rather new WISA HUB has an optical input but can't find HDMI ARC input? I do see one called HDMI HDCP 2.0/ HDCP 2.2 Compliant. Which is apparently some sort of encryption key spec.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Optical or ARC connections?

How many outputs are on the WiSA hub? Set your TV audio output to the return channel (the specifics vary by TV) and see if you get any audio. If there’s more than one output on the hub, try all of them. The audio return channel outputs audio on what is normally the video and audio input on the TV. If there’s an optical audio output on the TV, then just plug that in and set your TV’s audio to the optical output.

Akira Yamanita That has crossed my mind my only fear is there would be a signal crash of some sort and damage my HUB. Guess I will have to find out if there exists such a problem.

There is only one output on the HUB.

Also I have heard there is a downside to using Optical connection something to do with loss of some formats of sound.

John got a point , depending on where your at you may not have a lot of choices, but if you can do not .. do not , be loyal to your current ISP

I stop Using Cable before the term cord cutter.

And it Hurt and cramped my style.

I miss it . I'm a Big car,Turck , nascar , Discovery, tech, flight , cooking , tool, bike wait wait I'm mean Harley / Goldwing guy

I Can Get It All on YouTube

Although

I have Amazon prime, $12+? ,YouTube red ( premium now) $10

Linda.com (Linked in) $35+

ISP $50

My total cost $107

My total savings. $52+

Now even if I had cable package .

I still would have those membership's as well .So I'm saving a whole lot more

John Sullivan There really isn't a choice living in a world where Comcast is the only monopoly in town. Sounds like I will have to start the ball rolling and find out what ISP alone will cost me from Comcast. I am currently trying to make sure all the hardware we move to will work on our current setups. The Klipsch setup is one of the more involved parts of our entertainment hardware. It is kind of a catch 22 scenario. Invest in hardware so I can cut the cord and in the end find out I have to pay the same price for just ISP, as you explain.

This is has been one of the longer research projects so by far.

Rud Dog I only found one. That person was having issues with ARC when he would turn off his TV with CEC enabled. The HUB wouldn’t turn back on when the TV was turned back on and ARC wouldn’t work if he turned on the HUB manually after. ARC itself was working fine.

The signal for the audio output from the TV goes over the existing HDMI connection.

Akira Yamanita thank you. The HUB will not as far as I have been experimenting turn on when you power up the TV I have always had to power it on separately. Wish this was not the case but have found no solution as of this time. As for it powering off, it does power off the HUB when you power down your TV. As for ARC not working when he manually powered up the HUB well that is problematic. CEC must be a one-sided feature on the HUB?

If you could link the user's post I would be interested in pursuing the user's setup still not sure what port on the HUB to connect the output from the TVs ARC output.

Marcus Hall Have to wonder the circumstances surrounding your case. Did you have both when you started and cancel the video portion of the service and keep only the ISP portion of the service? I could live with 50 a month for ISP. Thank you for your input.