Update on the Prusa I3 MK3 printer

G+_Rud Dog

IMG_20180717_124848.jpg

Update on the Prusa I3 MK3 printer.

Turns out the calibration you use via the control panel is not the way to go. Once I figured this out all was great in 3D printing land. If you purchase one of these do yourself a favor and print one single layer on the print bed and adjust using this model then theirs. I made mine 4 inch by 4 inch and was better able to see the quality of the print and the adhesion to the bed. Dialed it in and now I can walk away from printing and come back to a fully printing item.

Jeff Gros it was the first layer of a box measuring 4 inches by 5 inches. This allowed me to better see how the filament was being laid down. I would run it and if I didn't like what I was seeing adjust the Z axis. This took me the better part of the morning but now everything sticks.

Just finished this arm for my camera. And ultimate test ran out of gray filament and swapped out for pink. It was all I had. Wonder what a coat of spray paint would to the PLA. Time for a test.

18756%20-%20IMG_20180718_082446.jpg

Agreed. I have the Monoprice version of that printer plus an Anet A8.

I tried the control panel method once when I first bought the Monoprice. Since then I've always done it manually with a piece of printer paper. It's painful but the results are much better and it's much closer to correct when I start dialing it in. No other aides needed.

Rud Dog FYI. New video on how to fix common issues. While I wouldn't call myself an expert, I've watched way too much 3d printing videos on youtube, and encountered/conquered many issues myself, so I thought I had seen just about everything. However, there were some things that I hadn't even considered as possible places for issues. Very much worth a watch. I'll be checking all these points carefully this weekend!